8th graders returning for in-person instruction (9/9)
On August 4, GCPS announced a plan to begin in-person instruction for students whose parents selected this learning environment for their child. The plan calls for bringing in a limited number of grade levels at first and then adding more grades on a staggered basis. On Wednesday, September 9, students in 4th 5th, 8th, 11th and 12th grade will begin in-person instruction.
Important Parent Information
- Prior to your child returning to school, we ask that you review and complete the form regarding GCPS expectations for students and parents (Click Here to Complete Form).
- If your child is riding the bus, you will find the bus information by signing in to the parent portal.
- Click on Student Information and select Click Here to Access.
- Click Student Info from the menu on the left.
- Scroll to view the bus information, including bus number, bus stop time, and location of the bus stop.
- If you do not have a parent portal account, or if you are unable to find your child’s bus information, please contact the front office at 678-407-4700.
- If your child is a car rider, biker, or walker, please visit our website to familiarize yourself with our car rider procedures: https://www.gcpsk12.org/Domain/10525. Car riders, bikers, and walkers enter the school from the back of the building at 8:50 AM. Students may NOT be dropped off in the front of the school or on the side of the road – please follow all guidelines for the safety of all.
- As a reminder, all students are required to wear a mask or face covering while on school property. For the safety of all, please make sure your child comes to school wearing a mask or face covering.
- While we have supplied all classes with hand sanitizer, your child may find it more convenient if they bring their own bottle of hand sanitizer to use.
- Students should return to school with the appropriate school supplies as we are limited the sharing of school supplies. Please visit our website to view the school supply list which was published earlier in the summer: https://www.gcpsk12.org/cms/lib/GA02204486/Centricity/Domain/10530/General-Student-Supply-List_FY20.pdf
- Please remember water fountains have been turned off in the building for the safety precautions. While we will have a supply of bottled water for students, we encourage students to bring their own water from home.
- Weather permitting, students will be eating lunch outside. We recommend students bring a towel or blanket to place on the ground to make the lunch experience more comfortable.
- Students who have checked out school-owned devices should return to school with those devices as well as the chargers. We are also recommending students bring their own set of headphones or earbuds.
- As a reminder, Coleman Middle School is a 1 device to 1 student school; therefore, students are not allowed to use personal devices (cell phones, I-pads, etc.) while at school. A school device will be issued to all students who are returning to school for face-to-face instruction; these devices will remain at school. Students will use their device in class as teachers integrate technology into their daily lessons; students will also have the opportunity to collaborate through Zoom with other students who are learning from home in our digital format.
- Students who are returning for face-to-face instruction will be issued a student ID with a lanyard. These student IDs will be used in the cafeteria and media center as all touchpads have been removed; these IDs will also be used as hall passes. It is imperative students return to school each day with their ID and lanyard.
CogAT Information for 8th grade
GCPS will be administering the CogAT assessment in-person to 8th grade students at their middle school. Students who elect to continue all-digital instruction may still participate in this assessment. Families of Digital Learning students are encouraged to register their student for the upcoming assessment, which will be administered at the school. Please review this information about the assessment and how we use results, the registration process, and frequently asked questions.
Please complete this form so that your child's school has an accurate count of students wishing to take this assessment.
The building doors open at 8:50. Car riders and buses will unload at 8:50. Parents will not be allowed to escort students to classrooms; we will have plenty of teachers to help students find their classes. The official school day begins at 9:20 and students are tardy after this time. We will dismiss at 4 PM.
PLEASE DO NOT USE BUS LANES FOR DROP OFF – CAR RIDERS ALWAYS USE THE BACK PARKING LOT!