22-23 School Council Nominations
The state of Georgia requires all public schools to have a School Council. This council is composed of parents, teachers, and business leaders.
All members will serve a two-year term. The School Council meets 4 times per school year. Meetings are at 7:30 AM.
Nomination forms will be open until Monday at 3 PM. Click on these links to nominate.
- Parent representatives should have students at Gwin Oaks. Nomination form
- Business representatives may also be parents at Gwin Oaks. Nomination form
Paper ballots for final voting will be available at the reception desk, May 19th starting at 8 AM and close May 20th at 3 PM.
Any questions about this process, please email Sherry.email@example.com
The A+ Education Reform Act of 2000 established school councils in Georgia to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to achieve the following:
- solve difficult education problems
- improve academic achievement
- provide support for teachers and administrators
- bring parents into the school-based decision-making process
School councils provide advice, recommendations, and assistance to principals and local boards of education. The law details the composition of the council, its responsibilities, and procedures for conducting business.
The 2004 General Assembly in HB 1190 provided flexibility in membership, chairmanship, meetings, elections and training for school councils. The changes also provided clarity that school councils are to focus on student achievement and school improvement.
The 2007 General Assembly changed the composition of school councils, requiring that a majority of members be parents (or guardians) and that at least two parents be businesspersons. At a minimum, a School Council is composed of seven members, including the following:
- The Principal
- Two certificated teachers elected by the teachers
- Four parents (or guardians) elected by the parents (please list as “Parent”); two of the parents must be businesspersons
- The school council may, within its bylaws, increase the number of members, as long as the parents remain the majority.
School Council Dates
Sept 21, 2022
Nov 16, 2022
Feb 15, 2023
Mar 15, 2023