Counseling Vision & Mission
CMS Counseling Department Vision
The vision of the Couch Middle School counseling program is for all students to maximize their potential for academic success as lifelong learners. Our students will graduate college or technical training to be equipped to meet the challenges of an ever changing global workforce. Our students will possess the necessary skills to be empathetic and compassionate toward others as well as independent and responsible adults. Students will become contributing members of their community, accepting of cultural diversity, and be critical thinkers as they navigate the complexities of home, career, and community.
CMS Counseling Department Mission
The mission of the Couch Middle School Counseling Program is for all students to engage in a comprehensive developmentally age-appropriate counseling program, which is equally accessible regardless of race, religion, and economic status. Students will be encouraged to pursue academic rigor and aspired to be academically and behaviorally successful, self-motivated, and respectful members of their community. Professional school counselors will partner with administrators, teachers, parents, and community stakeholders to advocate for and ensure equity, access, and success for all students. Students will be equipped to excel academically, personally, and socially as they prepare to meet world class standards.
CMS Counseling Department Beliefs
The School Counselors of Couch Middle believe:
- Every student can learn, achieve, and be successful.
- Every student has the right to adequate and equal education regardless of race, religion, socioeconomic status, or disability, etc.
- Every student deserves equal opportunity to a rigorous academic program.
- Every student can be a productive member of society.
- Every student has the ability to develop empathy and other positive character traits, which lead to healthy relationships.
- Every student has the potential to grow.
- Every student has innate gifts to be discovered, developed, and utilized.
- Every student has the right to a safe environment.
- Every student is inherently valuable and worthy of love.
- Every student deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.
- Every student should have access to a comprehensive counseling program, which is driven by school data and delivered by professional school counselors to meet the unique developmental needs of all students.
- School counseling programs should be designed, implemented, and evaluated by professional school counselors.
- School counselors should be an advocate for all students, a leader by example, and a bridge between school and home.
- School counselors should exemplify the ethical standards set forth by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA)and Gwinnett County Public Schools.