LOCAL SCHOOL COUNCIL
VOTE NOW for your Local School Council Members:
Purpose of the Local School Council
The establishment of local school councils is intended to help local boards of education by bringing parents and the community together with teachers and school administrators to create a better understanding of and mutual respect for each other’s concerns and share ideas for school improvement. School councils shall represent the community of parents and businesses.
Graves Elementary School’s Local School Council is composed of teachers and parents. Members serve on the council for two years, with new members joining the team each year.
The primary responsibility of the council is to assist the school in making decisions that will improve student achievement, increase parent participation, and help maintain a safe and secure school for teaching and learning.
The members of the school council are accountable to the constituents they serve and shall:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues;
- Regularly participate in school council meetings;
- Participate in information and training programs;
- Act as a link between the school council and the community;
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community; and
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.