NGHS Attendance Procedures
Check Out Procedures
If you are checking a student out:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating when and for what purpose they need to leave. Notes must include the student's full name, ID number, and phone number.
- If you have sent in a note:
We will send your student a pass to leave at the designated time if it is during class. If the checkout time is during a class change, they will not require a pass and can simply report to the attendance desk.
- If you do not send in a note:
Please come in and show ID at the attendance desk. We will get your student at that time. This may take up to 15 minutes.
*The last check out time is at 1:45 pm*
Students must always key in their number at the front desk when checking out and checking in.
All checkouts are unexcused unless released from the clinic.
A sick note from a Doctor/Dentist or a parent (10 parent notes maximum per school year) must be emailed to email@example.com in order for the absence to be excused.
Late Check In/ Absence Procedures
Students are NOT permitted to return to school until they have been fever-free without the aid of fever-reducing medication (Tylenol, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc.) for 24 hours.
The state of Georgia will accept the following reasons for a student to be considered excused from a school absence or tardy. Please provide the appropriate documentation and have your student turn in the information to the attendance office the morning they return to school. Students have five (5) days after returning to school to provide an excuse note.
- Personal illness jeopardizes personal health or health of others
- Doctor/Dentist/Other healthcare professional (must be accompanied by a note from doctor)
- Serious illness or death in immediate family—List family member and relationship to student____________________________________
- Religious holiday
- Student under orders from a government agency (Must attach formal documentation)
- Voter registration or voting
- Tests and physical exams for military service including National Guard (Must provide formal documentation)
- Spending time with parent(s) who are active-duty combat-zoned and about to leave for overseas deployment or who are between military deployments.
- Conditions rendering school attendance impossible or hazardous to student’s health or safety.**
If you check in late, your parents must send you in with a note or email a note to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reason listed, otherwise it will be counted as unexcused.
Excused reasons are illness, illness of family member, death in the family, observed religious holiday, and court.
If you go to a doctor, PLEASE bring a doctor's note back.
Students are allowed 10 parent written notes per school year and 6 check-ins per semester.
Parent’s notes are accepted for the first ten (10) excused absences per school year and six (6) check-ins per semester. Therefore, the only excused reasons for absences or check-ins must be verified through the following formal documentation:
- Doctor or hospital note.
- Court or government mandated papers
- Funeral brochure or program
- Signed form from college or university for an official college visit.
Students must turn in excuse notes to the attendance office within five (5) days of returning to school. Failure to do so may result in the absence or tardy being considered unexcused.
Unexcused absences: If a note is not submitted within 5 days of the absence, the absence will be regarded as unexcused. Parents will receive a letter from the county when a student has reached 5, 7, and 10 unexcused absences.
*A phone call to a parent may take place to verify authenticity
**Administrator MUST approve.
Tardy/Unexcused Check In Discipline Policy
UNEXCUSED CHECK IN & TARDY
0-6 No Consequence
7-9 3 days of Restricted Lunch Disciplinary Referral & Communication to Parent
10-12 1 Day of FRIDAY SCHOOL/
13-15 1 Day of SATURDAY SCHOOL/ with Academic Assistance,
D.R. and Admin. Conf.