Advanced Placement Information
Advanced Placement Interactive Course Info & Planner
The Advanced Placement (AP) program offers students the opportunity to take college-level courses in high school, with the potential to earn college credit at many colleges/universities by passing the corresponding exam at the end of each course.
- Standardized AP exams are administered in May of each year to measure student understanding and mastery of content and skills related to each course.
- AP teachers engage in 30 or more hours of content-rich training designed to strengthen how they teach their AP courses, and there are a wide variety of resources available to teachers and students for each AP course offering.
- The AP program at Discovery is an open program. Any student who has the desire, motivation, and perseverance is welcome in an AP course! \
Taking AP courses/exams not only better prepares students for college but can also save valuable time and money.
- Earning credit for these courses can mean not having to take them in college, which could open up a student’s schedule and mean not having to pay for that course.
- Taking AP courses also helps a student to stand out in the college application process as many colleges consider the rigor of a student’s coursework as a determining factor in the admissions process.
- You can search the credit policies of colleges on College Board’s website (Click Here) to determine which credits different colleges accept.
AP Exam Schedule/Registration
MyPaymentsPlus opens on Friday, September 29, 2023
Deadline to register for Fall semester and year-long course exams:
- Friday, November 10, 2023*.
- $40 late fee – $40 return fee
- Macro & Gov – opens January 8, 2024 closes Sunday, March 10, 2024
ALL students $10.00 non-refundable registration fee.
GCPS students enrolled in AP Courses:
- Gwinnett County Public Schools will pay for 1 exam for each student.
- Each additional exam is $98.00 (the exception of AP Capstone which is $146).
- GCPS will only pay for AP Capstone if it is the only exam that a student is taking.
GCPS students who are Free/Reduced Lunch students and enrolled in AP Courses:
- Gwinnett County Public Schools will pay for all exams.
- $10 registration fee still applies
AP Summer Assignments
- AP Art & Design-Coming Soon
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus
- AP Capstone Research-Coming Soon
- AP Capstone Seminar-Coming Soon
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History
- AP Human Geography-Coming Soon
- AP Language & Composition
- AP Literature-Coming Soon
- AP Psychology
- AP Statistics
- AP US Government-Coming Soon
- AP US History
- AP World History-Coming Soon
AP Testing Attendance Permission Form
Info will be updated prior to 2023-2024 AP Exams.
Current Course Offerings/Teachers
As students are determining which courses they would like to take next school year, keep in mind:
Exposure to advanced coursework increases graduation and college-going rates. Research shows that students who take AP courses and exams have better college outcomes than their peers who don't take AP. The latest findings also indicate the value of scores beyond earning college credit.
Half of students entering four-year colleges are now starting school with some credit from AP courses. Determine whether AP is right for your student and ensure he/she is given that advantage.
For additional information about AP classes offered at Discovery, visit the following link (also located under the Teaching and Learning tab) to view our AP Planning presentation: Welcome to the AP Planner
For Core classes, including Math, Science, Language Arts, & Social Studies, students will need to discuss AP opportunities with their current teachers.
Preparing for the AP Exams
The AP Exam Terms and Conditions are available to review at cb.org/apexamterms.
- Students will need to accept these terms and conditions prior to taking each exam.
- Any updates to the terms and conditions will be clearly summarized on the terms and conditions page.
- AP students will receive email reminders from College Board to review these terms and conditions at cb.org/apexamterms before the exam administration.
Note: For AP Art and Design students, there are separate Art and Design AP Exam Terms and Conditions, available at cb.org/apartdesignterms. Students will need to accept these terms before submitting their artwork through the Art and Design web application.