Advanced Placement Information
Advanced Placement Interactive Course Info & Planner
The Advanced Placement (AP) program offers students the opportunity to take college-level courses in high school, with the potential to earn college credit at many colleges/universities by passing the corresponding exam at the end of each course.
- Standardized AP exams are administered in May of each year to measure student understanding and mastery of content and skills related to each course.
- AP teachers engage in 30 or more hours of content-rich training designed to strengthen how they teach their AP courses, and there are a wide variety of resources available to teachers and students for each AP course offering.
- The AP program at Discovery is an open program. Any student who has the desire, motivation, and perseverance is welcome in an AP course!
- Due to the increased level of rigor in AP courses, students and parents must sign our AP commitment form acknowledging that they understand the requirements of enrolling in an AP course, and that students will not be allowed to drop the class because it is too difficult.
Taking AP courses/exams not only better prepares students for college but can also save valuable time and money.
- Earning credit for these courses can mean not having to take them in college, which could open up a student’s schedule and mean not having to pay for that course.
- Taking AP courses also helps a student to stand out in the college application process as many colleges consider the rigor of a student’s coursework as a determining factor in the admissions process.
- You can search the credit policies of colleges on College Board’s website (Click Here) to determine which credits different colleges accept.
AP Exam Schedule
The 2023 AP Exams will be administered in schools as paper-and-pencil exams over two weeks in May: May 1 - 5 and May 8 - 12.
All exams will be administered in the Sunroom except for Spanish & French, which will be administered in a Language Lab (exact room TBD, will be communicated to students), Seminar, and Macroeconomics (exact rooms TBD, will be communicated to students).
The following schedule only lists AP exams offered at Discovery HS and does not include exam dates/times for courses/exams not offered at DHS.
AP Summer Assignments
- AP Art & Design-Coming Soon
- AP Biology
- AP Calculus
- AP Capstone Research-Coming Soon
- AP Capstone Seminar-Coming Soon
- AP Environmental Science
- AP European History
- AP Human Geography-Coming Soon
- AP Language & Composition
- AP Literature-Coming Soon
- AP Psychology
- AP Statistics
- AP US Government-Coming Soon
- AP US History
- AP World History-Coming Soon
AP Testing Attendance Permission Form
Info will be updated prior to 2023-2024 AP Exams.
Current Course Offerings/Teachers
As students are determining which courses they would like to take next school year, keep in mind:
Exposure to advanced coursework increases graduation and college-going rates. Research shows that students who take AP courses and exams have better college outcomes than their peers who don't take AP. The latest findings also indicate the value of scores beyond earning college credit.
Half of students entering four-year colleges are now starting school with some credit from AP courses. Determine whether AP is right for your student and ensure he/she is given that advantage.
For additional information about AP classes offered at Discovery, visit the following link (also located under the Teaching and Learning tab) to view our AP Planning presentation: Welcome to the AP Planner
For Core classes, including Math, Science, Language Arts, & Social Studies, students will need to discuss AP opportunities with their current teachers.
Exam Registration Info
2022 - 2023 AP Exam Registration is now open!
Register on MyPaymentsPlus
Click HERE for instructions.
Registration closes Sunday, November 6, 2022, at 11:59 PM. Late fees apply!
Questions? Contact Assistant Principal Josh Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org, or AP Department Chair Jayme Hicks, email@example.com.
Preparing for the AP Exams
The AP Exam Terms and Conditions are available to review at cb.org/apexamterms.
- Students will need to accept these terms and conditions prior to taking each exam.
- Any updates to the terms and conditions will be clearly summarized on the terms and conditions page.
- AP students will receive email reminders from College Board to review these terms and conditions at cb.org/apexamterms before the exam administration.
Note: For AP Art and Design students, there are separate Art and Design AP Exam Terms and Conditions, available at cb.org/apartdesignterms. Students will need to accept these terms before submitting their artwork through the Art and Design web application.