Baggett Elementary Local School Council
The A+ Education Reform Act of 2000 established school councils in Georgia to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to achieve the following:
- Solve difficult education problems
- Improve academic achievement
- Provide support for teachers and administrators
- Bring parents into the school-based decision-making process
School councils provide advice, recommendations, and assistance to principals and local boards of education. The law details the composition of the council, its responsibilities, and procedures for conducting business.
The 2004 General Assembly in HB 1190 provided flexibility in membership, chairmanship, meetings, elections, and trainings for school councils. The changes also provided clarity that school councils are to focus on student achievement and school improvement.
The 2007 General Assembly changed the composition of school councils, requiring that a majority of members be parents (or guardians) and that at least two parents be businesspersons. At a minimum, a School Council is composed of seven members, including the following:
- The Principal
- Two certificated teachers elected by the teachers
- Four parents (or guardians) elected by the parents (please list as “Parent”); two of the parents must be businesspersons
The school council may, within its bylaws, increase the number of members, as long as the parents remain the majority.
BES School Council Members
Principal - Mitch Green
- Brooke Walker
- Yontikkia Hill
- Jaunetta Smith Parent 2021-2023
- Fadila Aberkane Parent 2021-2023
- Jennifer Genzy Business Partner 2021-2023
- Pedro Dominguez Parent 2021-2023
- Katherine Useche Parent 2021-2023
2022-2023 Meeting Dates