Office Number: 770-806-8937
Email Address: Emma.Whitmer@gcpsk12.org
Welcome to Sweetwater Middle School, 6th graders!!! My name is Ms. Whitmer and I’m so excited to join the Patriots family this school year! I graduated from Georgia State University with my M.Ed. in School Counseling in May of 2022 so I’m brand new to the profession and looking forward to this new adventure with all of you! When I’m not here at the school, I’m spending time with my puppy, my family or exploring all the fun things Atlanta has to offer!
My role as your counselor is to provide services to support your achievement through academic support, social/emotional guidance, college and career exploration, and so many other areas. This can look like meeting with you one on one, having small groups with 5-6 other students, and classroom lessons.
Important Information for Parents: Please be sure to sign up for the Parent Portal if you have not done so already.The Parent Portal offers parents secure online access to their child's grades, attendance, discipline record, and test history. To register for the portal, you must have an email address and complete a registration form available at SMS. Parents will need to return this form in person and bring valid identification in order for the school to verify your identity.
Parents, please do not hesitate to contact me if you ever need further assistance!
6th Grade Counseling AKS:
1. Apply learned strategies to successfully transition to middle school
2. Explore relationship between classroom performance and success in school
3. Recognize the importance of becoming a self-directed and independent learner
4. Establish and implement challenging academic goals
1. Explore the relationship between interests and talents
1. Demonstrate an understanding of how feelings affect behaviors
2. Demonstrate knowledge of ways to deal with others who display bullying behaviors
3. Demonstrate respect for the diversity among people
4. Explain the importance of thinking for oneself and demonstrate an understanding of how one can be influenced by peers.
5. Identify ways to say “No” to risky behaviors by utilizing refusal skills
6. Identify skills needed for making and keeping friends while recognizing the importance of expressing feelings honestly and appropriately.