PAES-The Practical Assessment Exploration System
State-of-the-Art Assessment for Students Who Have Special Needs
What is PAES?
PAES IS A HANDS-ON ASSESSMENT OF EMPLOYMENT POTENTIAL
Students become employees and are exposed to a broad range of hands-on, generalizable work skills. They'll be better prepared for community work experiences, future employment and independent life!
Participants clock in and go to work exploring nearly 300 jobs in five career areas that are based upon typical skills found at community based job sites. Participants find out what job skills they are good at, and what job skills they like to do.
- Work and Life Skill Training
- Vocational Work Assessment
- Work Exploration
- Appropriate Work Behavior Development
- Data Collection and Student Reporting
- An Accurate Description of Student Performance and Employment Potential
PAES Curriculum Based Assessment is a Performance Based Measure of Employment Potential. *All Formal Assessment Scores contribute to the PAES Aptitude Scores on the PAES Performance Summary Report
PAES PROVIDES MEANINFUL and CRITICAL INFORMATION FOR IEPs and TRANSITION ASSESSMENT There are so many benefits from PAES beyond the hands on exploration of nearly 300 Jobs. The PAES performance summary report defines the participants’ strengths and abilities in regards to their employment potential.
How Does PAES® Operate?
- PAES® is a hands on Comprehensive Work Development Curriculum that sets up in a typical sized school classroom.
- PAES® operates in a simulated work environment. Students become employees; teachers become supervisors. Strict procedures are followed so students get the feel of real work, at the same time learn and explore new career vocational areas.
- Each area has a comprehensive array of tasks for the students to perform. The instructor monitors the tasks and provides feedback and assistance where needed.
- Students are encouraged to become as independent as possible and are awarded for their progress.
- Students completing PAES® have a thorough knowledge of many job skills and have a better understanding of the real working world.
- A comprehensive report is developed once a student has finished PAES®. This report can easily be used to develop Career Development Plans, School-To-Work Plans, IEPs and Transition Plans.
- PAES® provides the foundation basics for School-To-Work Transition Plans
- PAES® provides students with Real Knowledge that is relevant to their lives. Students are encouraged to become independent problem solvers and develop higher order thinking skills.
Quality of Work: The PAES evaluator inspects and scores each job for quality.
Work Rate: Each PAES job is timed and rated against the competitive job rates.
Amount of Assistance Needed: Was the PAES job performed independently? Or was assistance or accommodations needed? Assistance and Accommodations are provided, and scored and reported through the PAES scoring software to help ensure that transition goals will reasonably enable the participant to meet those postsecondary and/or work readiness goals.
Participants say whether or not they like a job, every time they complete a job in PAES. Because every job is performed hands-on, this is a very accurate indicator of interest.
COMPREHENSIVE WORK SKILLS INVENTORY:
PAES provides an opportunity to identify and develop appropriate work skills and behaviors, prior to working in the community. This includes a proper work behavior inventory, goals, objectives and daily tracking.
OPTIONAL SUB TASK ASSESSMENT:
Each PAES job is broken down and assessed by individual sub task for when the need arrives. This is when a job has been attempted, assistance is given and the student is not expected to complete the PAES job entirely. The jobs are broken down to individual sub tasks in order to find out what sub task of the job can the participant can complete.
Students who have successfully completed PAES®:
- Know what they are good at doing
- Know where their strengths are
- Know work-related problem solving skills
- Know proper work behavior needed on the job
- Know where they are going
- Know what careers interest them
When Students finish with PAES® teachers know:
- What skills a student can actually perform
- If students are competitive with the real world
- What type of special assistance will be needed for slow learners, and the physically challenged
- What work behaviors students have and which ones they need to develop
- How to write better transition plans, because vital information is now available
PAES Lab Curator
Central Gwinnett High School