Academic Advisement and Counseling
Welcome to Discovery High School Counseling
Please click the following link (CLICK HERE) for important information from the DHS Counseling Department during the Digital Learning Days.
Please Click here for Crisis Mental Health Resources. The DHS Counseling Department is still available during these Digital Learning Days to support our students.
The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) Position
School counselors design and deliver comprehensive school counseling programs that improve a range of student learning and behavioral outcomes (Carey & Dimmitt, 2012). These programs are comprehensive in scope, preventive in design and developmental in nature. “The ASCA National Model: A Framework for School Counseling Programs” (ASCA, 2012a) outlines the components of a comprehensive school counseling program. The ASCA National Model brings school counselors together with one vision and one voice, which creates unity and focus toward improving student achievement and supporting student development.
The Rationale (American School Counselor Association)
A comprehensive school counseling program is an integral component of the school’s mission. Comprehensive school counseling programs, driven by student data and based on the ASCA National Model:
- Ensure equitable access to a rigorous education for all students
- Identify the knowledge and skills all students will acquire as a result of the K–12 comprehensive school counseling program
- Are delivered to all students in a systematic fashion
- Are based on data-driven decision making
- Are provided by a state-credentialed school counselor