“Regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic level, or previous achievement, children who read four or more books over the summer fare better on reading-comprehension tests in the fall than their peers who have read one or no books over the summer.”
--Jimmy Kim, Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk
Alford's Take 5 Summer Reading Program
Alford’s Media Center invites students to borrow up to five books of their choice. In order to check out books for the summer, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a rising 1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade student at Alford Elementary School for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year.
- Return all materials borrowed during the current school year (all books are due Friday, May 10, 2019).
- Have a clean library record: all materials returned and lost book fines paid in full.
- Have a signed parent permission form (see attached documents).
- Bring the signed permission to check out books by May 13th-17th, 2019.
- Be responsible for all materials checked out over the summer.
- Return all borrowed books to Alford’s Media Center by August 5, 2019.