GSMST Senior Class
Senior Class Update - 3/27/20
Here is a quick update on the senior class and upcoming events. Mr. Kuninsky will keep you updated any news and updates as they are received. Feel free to email Mr. Kuninsky with questions or concerns.
- Seniors who wish to audition to speak at graduation should submit their speeches to the Dropbox on the Class of 2020 eCLASS page by April 7. From these submissions, seniors will be selected to audition, if we are not back at school by the time the audition is scheduled to occur, seniors will submit videos of their speech for review by the committee.
- A request form for graduation guest tickets shortly after spring break. There is some uncertainty at the moment as to what May will look like, but we will move forward with regular plans and preparations as graduation is still scheduled to occur on May 21.
- Caps/Gowns/tassels will not be distributed on 4/7 as scheduled; each senior who paid dues WILL receive those items as well as their honor cords/GSMST Medallion/Diploma regardless of any changes that could occur to graduation plans.
- Please hold all senior letters for now and do not send them to the school. Mr. Kuninsky will send out an email when he is ready to begin accepting senior letters.
Graduation Speech Submissions and Auditions
- In Addition to the Valedictorian and Salutatorian, one additional senior will be selected to speak at graduation.
- If you are interested in speaking at graduation:
- Submit a Word Document with the text of your speech to the dropbox on the Class of 2020 eCLASS page by Tuesday, April 7.
- Include a title with your speech; this will be printed in the graduation program if you are chosen.
- Speeches should be about three minutes long.
- You will be notified shortly after if you have been selected to audition with the Speech Selection Committee.
- The audition date will be posted later this semester.
- Contact Mr. Kuninsky if you would like to discuss ideas for a speech or receive feedback on a preliminary draft.
Graduation Announcement Orders
Graduation Announcements can be ordered at www.gabalfour.com. Orders can be submitted in person any day a representative from Balfour is on campus during lunch (12/11, 1/9, 2/5).
- Senior Dues are $150.
- The Deadline for Payment is February 29, 2020.
- After the deadline, the fee will be $170.
- Dues cover senior activities that are held throughout the year, as well as costs related to graduation (cap/gown, diploma/diploma cover, cords, the graduation ceremony, etc.).
- Dues can be paid by credit card online at Balfour's web site - www.gabalfour.com.
- Dues can also be paid by cash or check on any day that a representative from Balfour is on campus during lunch - 10/1, 10/2, 11/1, 12/11, 1/9, 2/5.
- Refunds will not be given to students who fail to meet graduation requirements or transfer out of GSMST after dues are paid.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONLINE PAYMENT:
- Go to www.gabalfour.com (NOT Balfour; the ga must be included)
- Select GSMST, and click submit.
- Scroll down, and click "Cap & Gown/Graduation Fee".
- Scroll down, and click "View Package" in the box labeled "Your Cap, Gown, and Tassel!".
- Provide requested information and click "Add to Cart".
- Click "Proceed to Checkout", and submit your payment.
Senior Shirt Days
Senior Shirt Days for the 2019-2020 School Year are:
Community Service Hours/Cord
Students with 200 or more documented hours of community service will receive a silver cord to wear at graduation.
Final documentation of Community Service Hours is due by Thursday, March 12 by 3:00pm. Give community service forms to Ms. Czarick in the counseling office. Keep a copy of the forms for your own records.
The community service hours form can be found HERE.
Honor Graduate Status/Cords
- If your overall GPA after 1st semester of senior year is 90.0 or higher, you are an honor graduate and will receive a gold cord to wear at graduation.
- GPA's are not rounded, so an 89.9 will not qualify for honor graduate status.
- If you are close to 90.0, and bring your GPA up to or above 90.0 by the end of second semester, you will receive honor graduate status.
Exam Exemption Policy (Second Semester Only)
Seniors meeting the set criteria are eligible for exam exemption during Spring Semester. Students must have four or fewer absences spring semester and have a 90.0 average in the class (or be an Honor Graduate) in order to exempt. Seniors will receive detailed exemption information in January.
- Graduation will be held on Thursday May 21 at 6:00pm in the Exhibit Halls at the Infinite Energy Forum.
- Graduation Practice will be held on Thursday May 20 at 9:00am in the GSMST Cafeteria. All graduates are requried to attend.
- Information on requesting guest tickets will be posted in April.
- Family and Friends are invited to send letters/cards for graduating seniors. This is a great opportunity to express congratulations and well wishes.
- Letters will be distributed at the senior breakfast on May 11.
- Place letters in a standard sized envelope or send a standard sized card in an envelope.
- Letters not sealed in an envelope will not be accepted.
- Packages, large envelopes, or envelopes with bulky contents will not be accepted.
- Write the first and last name of the recipient on the outside of the envelope.
- Bring letters to the Attendance Office or Mr. Kuninsky's room (5.241).
- Letters can be mailed to the school to the attention of Steve Kuninsky.
- Letters will not be accepted by email.
- Letters must be received by Monday May 4, 2020
Due to current circumstances, DO NOT send letters to the school yet. Notification will be sent when we are ready to accept senior letters.