Information for Freshmen
Sign Up for the Counseling Department Remind 101. Text @ch9de to 81010 to sign up!
You just started SHS and already you're supposed to start preparing for college! Not really, but there are some things you can do to help prepare for college and/or career in the next few years and give you options for whichever direction you choose after high school.
- Develop strong academic and critical thinking skills by taking challenging courses and reading. Discuss academic and career plans with your counselor and come up with a tentative four-year plan which you can input into GAFutures.
- Be sure to sign up for GAFutures and have your parents sign up too.
- Gain an understanding of high school graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and collegiate athletic requirements, if applicable, and make sure you are taking, and you will continue to take, the proper courses.
- Get involved in extra-curricular activities, volunteer opportunities, and internships or jobs. When you apply to college, you will be asked about these activities. The quality of your involvement is more important than the number of activities you choose. Find things that interest you and that you are passionate about.
- Look for interesting things to do over the summer that will enrich your life. Many colleges want to know how you spent your summers.
- Start to document your activities, involvement, awards, and honors.
- Work hard and get good grades. Your GPA is just one piece of the puzzle, but it is an important one.
- Remember if you have any questions or concerns the Counseling Department is here to assist you.