The student must have at least 1 year of previous experience in band or have had a substantial period of private lessons on a band instrument.
Areas of Focus
- Develop an interest in and appreciation of instrumental music.
- Develop skills in reading notation and use of musical vocabulary, leading to the development of a comprehensive understanding of the elements of music and their relationship.
- Develop correct habits in posture, wind or percussion techniques, and care and maintenance of a musical instrument.
- Develop discriminating listening and performing skills in tone, intonation, and ensemble blend and balance.
- Function in a musicianship role through composing, performing, listening to, and evaluating musical works.
- Participate in performances of instrumental music utilizing a wide repertoire of music literature.
- Develop a positive director-student relationship.
- Become a lifetime musician and advocate of the arts.