Students in 8th grade may earn one Carnegie unit for passing the following approved courses if the course is taught by a teacher who is certified 6 -12 in his/her specific content area:
- Accelerated Algebra I
- Algebra I
- Physical Science (HS Course)
- French I
- French II
- Spanish I
- Spanish II
A student's parent/guardian is required to sign the Carnegie Unit Credit Decision Form at the end of the school year indicating either the credit for the course(s) taken will be for middle school credit or as a Carnegie Unit towards high school graduation; this year, the form will be completed electronically through the Parent Portal. Please pay special attention to the updated instructions shown via the link below when completing the Decision Form.
Students may not earn 1/2 Carnegie credit for courses. Courses that earn a high school Carnegie credit in middle school will not be used in the grade point average (GPA) calculation for high school, nor will be used in GPA calculations for the HOPE scholarship, according to current Georgia Student Finance Commission rules for HOPE.
Both semester grades (not the yearly average) will be used to determine credit earned. If the student successfully passes both semesters, then a 'P' will be placed on the transcript and not a grade. A 'P' will equal 1.0 unit of Carnegie Credit earned.
The process of application for Carnegie Units for 8th grade students will open on May 11, 2023. Please pay special attention to the updated instructions shown via the link below when completing the Decision Form.
Please review the following information about this process:
- Parents MUST log in into the Parent Portal OR on the PARENTVUE mobile app to make their selections.
- Updated Parent Instructions- Final
- If you do not have a parent portal account or you are having technical difficulties, contact our registrar, Cassidi Taylor Medina, firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Direct questions about Carnegie Units to the high school your student will be attending.
8th Grade Assistant Principal