2020 Summer Learning Opportunities for Rising 9th Graders
Rising 9th graders may register for Health and Personal Fitness (PE) only. Both classes are required for graduation. Students may choose to take these classes in the summer to make room for electives in their regular schedule.
• Gwinnett Online Campus 2020 Summer Session:
- Session 1 - June 1, 2020 - June 23, 2020
- Session 2 - June 15, 2020 - July 7, 2020
Register online at www.mypaymentsplus.com for Session 1- February 15th- May 24th , Session 2- April 17th- June 7th . See below for frequently asked questions, and find course information for the online courses at the bottom of the page.
• Many of the district’s Community Schools, associated with our high schools, will offer online Health and PE to rising 9th graders. Please contact your local Community School for details on registration, fees, and other information
Important information for Online Campus students…
• Note: Online Campus has limited spaces for Personal Fitness (PE) and Health, so register early to ensure a space
• All tuition fees are due at the time of registration
• Online Campus classes meet on a Monday-to-Friday schedule
Frequently Asked Questions
The online summer session is three weeks long and allows students to work at the time of day in which they learn the best and that best fits their schedule. Although the courses offer flexibility, they are not self-paced. Students have teacher-directed deadlines, due dates, and examinations. Below, see frequently asked questions and answers about Gwinnett Online Campus (GOC).
What are the important dates for rising 9th graders participating in the GOC summer session?
- Session 1- February 15th- May 24th , Session 2- April 17th- June 7th: Register and pay for classes (online only)
- First day of session: Students will access their online course through the Logins tab at www.gcpsk12.org/ GwinnettOnline in the Desire2Learn login area. Students will use their GCPS student ID number for both their username and password. Once logged in, students will click on the course title to enter the session homeroom
How do I register and pay for online classes?
- Register online at www.mypaymentsplus.com for Session 1- February 15th- May 24th , Session 2- April 17th- June 7th. Online Campus only accepts payment by MasterCard/VISA prepaid, debit, or credit card; or by electronic check. Online Campus does not accept cash or personal checks. All GOC registration is handled online.
What is the cost of an Online Campus course?
- Online summer courses for rising 9th GCPS graders— PE and Health— are $250 per course. Non-GCPS students pay $275 per course.
What online classes can rising 9th graders take?
- You may register for Health and for Personal Fitness (PE). Online Campus has limited spaces for PE and for Health. However, both courses also are offered online through many Community Schools.
What if I want to withdraw and receive a refund?
- With parental approval, students can drop courses up until the posted first day of class
- To request a refund, go to the GOC website and click on the “Request a Refund” link under the Programs– Summer tab
- No refunds will be given if requested after the posted first day of class
Do I have to log in to my course every day?
- Yes, you will need to log in each day during the school week (Monday through Friday) during the entire summer session
- An online course requires 16–20 hours a week per course during the shorter, more intensive summer classes
What is an online class like? How are the health and PE courses structured online?
- Online courses offer flexibility with summer schedules because the content is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- An online class is similar to a face-to-face class in the following ways: There is a teacher. You have lessons. You have homework, due dates, class discussions, and tests. Students may “attend” class at any time of the day, but are expected to log in every class day, Monday through Friday, during the summer session.
- All work is completed online.
- Students also are expected to log in during course-specific Adobe Connect sessions for live, online instruction.
- Teachers will communicate through phone, email, and course feedback.
- For more information, see the demo course available under the Programs–Summer tab and additional information about courses on the Departments tab.
Health and Personal Fitness (PE) Course Information
Both Health and Personal Fitness (PE) are Required for Graduation
Health covers knowledge and skills necessary for personal health and well-being and the prevention and treatment of injury. Additional information covered includes disease prevention, relationships, consumer health, the life cycle, and preventing abuse of tobacco, alcohol, and drugs.
Personal Fitness (PE) provides students with the basic knowledge and understanding that physical fitness, exercise, and diet are essential in developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Important Information about Taking PE and Health Online
On the first day of the session, students will access their online course through the Logins tab at www.gcpsk12.org/GwinnettOnline in the Desire2Learn login area. Students will use their GCPS student ID number for both their username and password. Once logged in, students will click on the course title to enter the session homeroom.
By the first day of the session, students will receive a welcome phone call from their teacher, or a welcome email sent to their GCPS email address, not to a personal email address. The teacher’s contact information also is posted on the course home page. Students are expected to check their GCPS email daily during the summer session for important information.
Important Beginning of Term Information
“Summer Beginning of Term Information” is part of the registration system in MyPaymentsPlus. When the course is selected in MyPaymentsPlus, the Beginning of Term (BOT) letter will automatically pop up. The letter requires a signature confirming that the student has read and understands the information. This information also is available in the “BOT Letter Summer” link under the Programs–Summer tab at www.gcpsk12.org/GwinnettOnline
Personal Fitness (PE)
Students will complete a pre-fitness self-test at home. Please visit the “Summer Program> Health and PE” page at www.gcpsk12.org/GwinnettOnline for a detailed description of how we use fitness tracking technology to help the teachers assess students’ activity with this course.
For more information about PE, please contact Sarah Sargent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Health, please contact Tanya Butler at email@example.com.