Transportation Frequently Asked Questions (Regular Education)
What is the quickest way to get my child’s bus stop information?
On the Parent Portal, you will have access to your child’s transportation information. (If you don't have a Parent Portal account, find out how to register.) GCPS Transportation provides updated information throughout the school year. During June through mid-July, our Transportation page on the Portal will be under construction to provide updated bus information for the new school year.
Who should be contacted if I have a concern about a bus stop?
The Transportation Supervisor for your child’s school is the best point of contact should you have a transportation concern. Their contact email and phone number are listed on the GCPS website.
Change of bus stop assignments are not allowed for personal purposes. It is parent/guardian responsibility to ensure the safety of your children while walking to and from the bus stop, and while waiting at the bus stop.
What if my child’s bus is late or does not come home from school at all?
Call your child's school or the Transportation Dispatch line at 770-513-6686, prompt 3.
How are bus stops determined and assigned?
Guidelines are as follows:
- Buses will only travel streets that are at least 3/10 of a mile and also provide a safe turnaround.
- Bus stops will not be set closer than 1/10 of a mile apart (most GCPS students are not required to walk more than 3/10 of a mile). The Georgia state standard allows students to walk up to half a mile to reach their assigned stop.
- Stops will be located at least 1/10 of a mile from a high-speed road (40+mph).
- Same side stops will be provided for students living on roads that are 40+ mph.
- Students are not permitted to cross multi-lane roads.
- Stops will be set on a limited basis for high school students living less than 1½ miles from their home high school based on Georgia Code 20-2-188.
Based on DOE guidelines and GCPS best practices concerning bus stop locations, stops are evaluated annually and changes to existing bus stop locations are possible. Parents will receive notification of any changes.
What if I want my child to ride another bus or get off at a different stop?
In an emergency situation which is approved by a school administrator, your child may receive a temporary bus pass. A note from the parent is provided to the school for such a request. If approved, the school will provide the student with a GCPS Bus Pass allowing them to ride a different bus or get off at a different bus stop. Keep in mind that some of our buses are at capacity and cannot safely transport any additional students. Be prepared to make other arrangements for your child as there is a possibility that your request may not be granted.
Bus drivers are NOT allowed to drop students at a bus stop other than their assigned stop without a bus pass authorizing the change.
What if I need my child to go to another location for daycare purposes?
Daycare needs must be based on a full five (5) day basis. Fill out the Transportation Parent Authorization Form found on the Transportation portion of the GCPS website. If the daycare is a GCPS serviced daycare center, your child will be assigned to the bus which services that daycare for pick up, drop off or both. All daycare facilities are required to submit a Verification of Daycare Enrollment form for each student riding a GCPS bus to their facility. The top portion of the form is to be completed and signed by the parent. The bottom portion of the form is to be completed and signed by the daycare director. The completed form is faxed to the child’s school. Alternate address assignments do not go into effect until the information has been entered into the student information database at the school.
How do I request a bus stop change?
Bus drivers are NOT authorized to change a student’s bus stop assignment or bus stop location. Please contact the Transportation Supervisor for your child’s school. Contact names and numbers are listed on the Transportation portion of the GCPS website.
Change of bus stop assignments are not allowed for personal preferences such as, but not limited to, the proximity of the stop to your residence, your ability to see your child at the stop, the fact that the bus goes past your house to get to the stop, the lack of sidewalks, that it is dark outside, or to get off the bus sooner/later. It is parent/guardian responsibility to ensure the safety of your children while walking to and from the bus stop, and while waiting at the bus stop.
What do the colors for the Bus Tags for Elementary students mean?
All elementary students should have just one Transportation tag attached to their book bag.
- Green tag – All kindergarten students are issued a green tag
- Red tag – This is a temporary tag for new students or students with a newly assigned stop change and this tag will be replaced within ten days with the appropriate color tag
- Yellow tag – Student rides a GCPS bus home or to a daycare serviced by GCPS
- Orange tag – Student rides a daycare bus to/from the daycare center where they are enrolled
- Blue tag – Students are car riders
- White tag – Students are walkers