How to Become a Substitute Teacher
Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) desires to have the best qualified teaching and non-teaching substitutes to serve the students of our school district. Substitute teachers have the opportunity to instruct students in various schools and grade levels while gaining valuable teaching and training experience.
Substitutes employed in Gwinnett County Public Schools work on an as-needed basis and are not eligible for benefits. Substitutes are reasonably assured to have the opportunity to work in the school system when local schools are in session. Local schools request the services of substitutes from the approved substitute list.
Substitute teachers are needed for all grade levels and subject areas. Teaching certification is not required in order to be eligible to substitute teach. Options are available for digital instruction and in-class instruction. Substitute teaching candidates must complete an online application and are required to be fingerprinted and have a criminal records check.
How to Apply?
Substitute applications are accepted on an on-going basis throughout the year. To join the GCPS Substitute Teaching Program, applicants must:
- Complete and submit an online application
- Provide a current or most recent reference
- Complete GCPS Substitute Teacher Training Program (Training is required if you do not hold a valid or expired professional teaching certificate or if you have not completed a practicum or student teaching in Gwinnett County.)
Once your application has been reviewed, you will be contacted to attend Substitute Teacher Orientation.
- Substitute Teacher – $108/Day
- Extended Teaching Substitute – $120/Day (10 or more consecutive days in the same classroom)
- Substitute Paraprofessional – $71/Day
- Extended Substitute Paraprofessional – $83/Day (10 or more consecutive days in the same classroom)
- Substitute Paraprofessional - $87/Day (Autism - Level I (Severe), Autism - Level II (Moderate), EBD, MOID, PID, OI)
- Extended Substitute Paraprofessional - $98/Day (10 or more consecutive days in the same classroom)
Be the Substitute Teacher Students Remember!