• Baggett Elementary School

  • Baggett elementary school building front
  • Address

    2136 Old Norcross Road; Lawrenceville, GA 30044

    Get Directions

  • Principals

    Years Principal
    2015–2020 Dr. Charlotte Sadler
    2020– Present Mitchell Green

  • Colors/Mascot

    School Colors:  Navy, Lime Green, and Silver
    School Mascot: Titans

    Alford Elementary School Logo

  • Building Plaque

    Board of EducationBaggett elementary school plaque
    Carole Boyce - Chairman
    Daniel D. Seckinger - Vice Chairman
    Dr. Robert McClure 
    Dr. Mary Kay Murphy

    Louise Radloff


    CEO/Superintendent: J. Alvin Wilbanks
    Architect: Lindsay, Pope, Brayfield, Clifford & Associates, Inc.
    Contractor: Bowen & Watson, Inc. 
    Dedication Date: 2015

History

  • Boyd Quillian Baggett,     Baggett Elementary School is named after Boyd Quillian Baggett, a former principal in Gwinnett County Public Schools. Mr. Baggett was born on September 10, 1900, in Barrow County, Georgia. He graduated from Winder High School in 1918 and entered North Georgia College. Subsequently, he received an appointment to the Military Academy at West Point in 1920 and remained there for one year. After working for a few years, he completed his degree at the University of Georgia in 1934, which included a reserve commission in the Army through the ROTC.

         Mr. Baggett started his career in education in Barrow County as a coach, teacher, and principal at Bethlehem School from 1927 to 1941. He also served as mayor of Bethlehem for two terms. In 1932, Mr. Baggett married Betty R. Harrison of Bethlehem. They had two children, James (Jeb) Baggett of Lilburn and Betty Baggett Bowling of Johns Creek, and five grandchildren.

         In 1948, Mr. Baggett came to Gwinnett County to be the new principal at Bethesda School. He served there until 1953, when he was named principal of Lawrenceville School. In the fall of 1957, Mr. Baggett became the first principal of the new Central Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville. The year 1957 was momentous in that it was the first postwar consolidation of schools in Gwinnett County. Four new high schools opened about that time: Central Gwinnett, North Gwinnett, South Gwinnett and West Gwinnett.

         Mr. Baggett was principal at Central Gwinnett High School until 1964, when he became an assistant to the county school superintendent, primarily recruiting teachers for Gwinnett’s rapidly growing educational system. Throughout his lifetime, he was active in professional and community organizations and in his church.

         Baggett Elementary School opened its doors on August 10, 2015, serving more than 1,100 students coming from Benefield, Ferguson, and Alford elementary schools. In addition to 53 classrooms, the school included other learning units such as a science classroom, three computer labs, a music room, an art room, etc. In line with the school’s theme—“Building a Strong Foundation for Academic Success”—the school uses technology through the use of innovative eCLASS instructional opportunities and offers Math, Spanish, and STEM specials.