Craig Elementary School
1075 Rocky Road; Lawrenceville, GA 30044
Years Principal 1993–2004 Dan Hicks 2004–2008 Mary Ray 2008–Present Angie Wright
School Colors: Maroon and Gold
School Mascot: Craig Colts
Board of Education
Louise Radloff - Chairman
Julie Duke - Vice Chairman
Thomas L. Harris
Superintendent: George G. Thompson
Architect: Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates., Inc.
Contractor: Bowen & Watson, Inc.
Dedication Date: 1993
Craig Elementary school, located in Lawrenceville, GA, is a part of the Brookwood Cluster in Gwinnett County Public Schools. The school was named for a prominent landowner who helped rebuild Gwinnett County after the Civil War. Robert W. Craig owned one of the largest pieces of land in Gwinnett County. It was built in 1830 and located on what was then known as old Station Mountain Road. This land covered an area that is said to have extended for nearly 10 miles along what is now Five Forks Trickum Road. Cotton, corn, hogs, and grains were predominately raised on this land. Robert Craig was known as a kind and gentle man. After Sherman devastated the area during the Civil War, Craig distributed his reserves of seed and grain throughout the county and even to neighboring states to help people make a new start.
Craig’s home was often called “Little Egypt”, comparing him to the biblical story of Joseph giving grain to the Egyptians during the seven-year drought. “Little Egypt” still stands on Five Forks Trickum Road for all to see. This home has been put on the National Registry of Historical Places. Mr. and Mrs. Craig are buried in a small cemetery on this property. Since Robert W. Craig certainly contributed to the successful rebuilding of Gwinnett County following the Civil War, it is a fitting tribute to this man to name a school in his honor, especially since the school is located on his “Little Egypt” land. Craig Elementary sits squarely in the middle of the community that it serves! This fast-growing geographic location illustrates the school’s role as the “hub” of the community ever since it first opened in 1993.
Craig Elementary has seen substantial changes since it opened its doors in 1993. However, this commitment to excellence and serving students has remained constant across the history of the school. Craig takes pride in using research-based instructional strategies and data to tailor instructional practices to meet the individual needs of each child. Teachers use data to inform and select appropriate instructional strategies used in enriching, acceleration, or remediation. This helps create a rigorous instructional program that provides students with rich learning opportunities.
In 2002, Craig Elementary received the School of Excellence Award. Since then it has been recognized by the Governor's Office of Student Achievement at the Gold level (2012) and at the Bronze level (2010) for Highest Percentage of Students Meeting or Exceeding Academic Standards on the CRCT.
The Craig Elementary community highly values the important role education plays in building a thriving, global community and strongly support our school’s pursuit of excellence. The finest teachers in the profession, involved parents, and a supportive community are key elements in our school’s quest to become a world-class school.