• Dacula Elementary School

  • Dacula elementary school building front
  • Address

    2500 Fence Road; Dacula, GA 30019

    Get Directions

  • Principals

    Years Principal
    1943–1957 Victor H. Knight
    1957–1966 W. Carson Britt
    1966–1970 Rex Cassidy
    1970–1974 Robert F. Cooper, Jr.
    1974–1988 Daniel W. Bonner
    1988–1999 Olivia J. Hodges
    1999–2001 David Friend
    2001–2007 Dr. Karen Bryant
    2007–2008 Dr. Paul Brooksher
    2008–2015 Mary Lou Enright
    2015–Present Holly Warren
  • Colors/Mascot

    School Colors:  Blue and gold
    School Mascot: Falcon

    Dacula Elementary School Logo

  • Building Plaque

    Board of EducationDacula elementary school plaque
    Daniel Parks - Chairman
    Stan Jones - Vice Chairman
    Julie Duke 
    Tom Harris
    Louise Radloff

    Superintendent: Dr. Alton C. Crews
    Architect: Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates., Inc.
    Contractor: Bowen & Watson, Inc.
    Dedication Date: 1990

History

  •      Records indicate that the first Dacula School was located at 192 W. Dacula Road in 1892. It was a small two-story building constructed on land donated by Dr. S. H. Freeman. In 1910, a new brick building housed students from grades one through 10. It has been said that this building and the academic progress of the Dacula students were the pride of local officials for many years.

         As the tight-knit community prospered, so did the school. A new grammar school building was added in 1931, the elementary grades achieved standardization and the high school became accredited for the first time. During the 1930s, Dacula was recognized as an academic, athletic, and vocational leader in Gwinnett County and in the state. Again the campus grew as a gymnasium, vocational building, lunchroom, canning plant, and garage were added.

         Tragedy struck during the spring of 1944 when both academic buildings were destroyed by fire. Dacula students continued to attend school but their lessons were taught in makeshift classrooms in the remaining buildings on campus. Lack of proper classrooms did not hinder the success of the students. Dacula continued to receive acclaim for academic and athletic achievements.

         By the fall of 1947 a new classroom building opened. It was funded through the efforts of the community utilizing local bonds, generous donations by prominent Dacula families, along with federal assistance secured by Senator Richard B. Russell.

         Consolidation became the norm during the 50s. However, the Dacula community was so determined to preserve its local school identity that a court battle ensued to prevent Dacula students from consolidating with Central Gwinnett High as one of the four proposed high schools in Gwinnett County. This victory was not without cost.

         Between the 1950s and into the 90s, Dacula was known as a closed and sleepy little community nestled in the northeast corner of progressive Gwinnett County. School facilities increased and improved but at a much slower rate than other parts of the county. A separate classroom wing was built in 1960, then additional classrooms, labs, a library, and office space in 1964. Ten years later, Dacula High School became an independent unit leaving grades one through seven to occupy the Dacula Road campus. Dacula Elementary and Dacula Middle School shared the same address until 1990 when Dacula Elementary moved to a new campus at 2500 Fence Road.

        Today, Dacula Elementary is no longer one of the smallest elementary schools in the county. In fact, a renovation project in the fall of 2005 included a threestory, 32-classroom addition. Dacula is no longer the hidden gem of Gwinnett. The schools continue to grow as more people desire to make their home in these gently rolling, lush green hills of the northeast corner of Gwinnett County. The challenge of addressing rapid growth and changes in the Dacula student population has been met by outstanding classroom teachers, knowledgeable support staff, and dynamic local administrative leaders. For Dacula Elementary, facilities and addresses have changed over time, but the pride of belonging to a successful, supportive Dacula school community remains.

         Information sources:

    • 1923 Gwinnett County Public School Publication, The History of Gwinnett County Public Schools, 1984, History of Gwinnett County Public Schools, 1989 edition,
    • Flanigan, James C. History of Gwinnett County Georgia, 1818–1942 Volume 1.
    • Book Crafters, Inc. Fredericksburg, Virginia, 1995, The opportunity to be a part of the Dacula Elementary School Family from 1986–2004