Level Creek Elementary School
4488 Tench Road; Suwanee, GA 30024
Years Principal 2004–2006 Linda Anderson 2006–2013 Dr. Nancy Kiel 2013–Present Daniel Skelton
School Colors: Gold and Black
School Mascot: Leo the Leopard
Board of Education
Daniel Seckinger - Chairman
Dr. Robert McClure - Vice Chairman
Dr. Mary Kay Murphy
Dr. Billy Britt
Superintendent: J. Alvin Wilbanks
Architect: Chapman Griffin Lanier Sussenbach Architects, Inc.
Contractor: Carroll Daniel Construction Company, Inc.
Dedication Date: 2004
The Level Creek Community has been in Gwinnett for a long time. Native Americans and pioneer settlers used to live where the school is now located. Two hundred years ago, the land was originally forest land.
In 1818, Gwinnett County was formed by the Georgia General Assembly from lands ceded by the Indians after the War of 1812. Families from other counties and states were given land here and began to move into the new area to build their homes and farms. Their neighbors were the Cherokee Indians, who continued to live here until they were forced to move away during the “Trail of Tears” in 1838.
The Level Creek Methodist Church was established in 1823 and was named after the nearby creek. The church was organized in the Phillip Lamar schoolhouse and was the center of the frontier community’s life. Since most of the settlers did not have a formal education, spelling was taught and spelling bees were held for the young and old at the church’s Sunday School. This was the beginning of the original Level Creek School.
A description of the Level Creek Schoolhouse in 1923 gives us a glimpse of the condition of the outside (“condition fair, water from spring, ample playgrounds, no garden, one toilet”) and the inside (“value $1,000, two rooms, poorly lighted, ventilation bad, clean, painted”) of a rural schoolhouse of that time. The enrollment at the time was 49 students and two teachers for seven grade levels.
The Level Creek School has certainly changed today! Work on the “new” Level Creek Elementary School began in December 2002. The school opened its doors to 930 students for the first time in August 2004. In addition to students, 104 staff members took pride in the new 131,656 square foot, two story building! In May 2005, the first group of fifth graders, consisting of 154 students, were promoted to the 6th grade. The Level Creek community is still strong today and excited to continue building a “Legacy of Learning!”
In fact, the vision of Level Creek Elementary today is to be a world-class school where we Lead, Connect, Excel and Serve. The school is recognized as one of the top-performing schools in the county and state and works to build students’ leadership capacity through classroom and extracurricular activities. LCES students take responsibility for their academic and personal goals through their data notebooks and LCES students in 4th and 5th grades may participate in the Be The Leader Council, the school’s student leadership team. All LCES students participate in “Specials” in PE, art, music, and Spanish. In addition, all 4th and 5th grade students attended a “special” in technology. LCES students also have the opportunity to grow and learn in the following clubs: Art, Orchestra, Chorus, Spanish, Readers Rally, Safety Patrol, Taekwondo, Jump Rope, LEGO, Chess, Witzzle Pro Math, Fitness, Guitar, Technology, Tennis, and Good News. The staff and students also participate in community outreach programs, including Great Days of Service, United Way, Toys for Tots, and Relay For Life.
Sources: Gwinnett GA Schools 1923, Gwinnett Historical Society, Inc., History of Gwinnett County Georgia 1818-1860 Vol. II, J. C. Flanigan, Rick Beggs, Level Creek UMC