• K. E. Taylor Elementary School

  • Taylor elementary school building front
  • Address

    600 Taylor School Drive; Lawrenceville, GA 30043

    Get Directions

  • Principals

    Years Principal
    1997–2006 Dr. Jerry Lehner
    2006–2011 Sandee Williams
    2011–Present Paula Cobb

  • Colors/Mascot

    School Colors:  Green, Silver, White
    School Mascot: Eagle

    Taylor Elementary School Logo

  • Building Plaque

    Board of EducationTaylor elementary school plaque
    Louise Radloff - Chairman
    Daniel Seckinger - Vice Chairman 
    Julie Duke
    Robert McClure
    Joel C. Taylor, Jr. 

    Superintendent: J. Alvin Wilbanks
    Architect: Stevens & Wilkinson of GA., Inc.
    Contractor: Bowen & Watson, Inc.
    Dedication Date: 1997

History

  • Kope Elise (K.E.) Taylor

          K. E. Taylor Elementary School was established in 1997. The school was named after “Kope Elise (K.E.) Taylor. In 1924, K.E. Taylor was voted to the office of Gwinnett County School Superintendent. He took office in January 1925, and remained in office until his
    death in January 1933. While Mr. Taylor was in office, four employee positions were added to the school system: a home demonstration agent, an attendance officer, a supervisor of primary education, and a visiting teacher. Both salaries and requirements for teachers were raised in 1931. In addition, the term for some schools was increased during his tenure from six and a half months to nine months.

         The school named in honor of this former superintendent opened as part of the Collins Hill Cluster. It was originally planned as a replacement school for Dyer Elementary School; later it became a relief school for students from Walnut Grove, Dyer, and McKendree elementary schools. Principal Jerry Lehner introduced the Taylor Timberwolves (the mascot) and the school colors of green and blue to the new school community. (The mascot and colors changed in 2011 as Taylor aligned its colors and mascot with the other schools in the Collins Hill Cluster, adopting the Eagle and the colors of green, silver, and white.)

         When it opened, the 112,883 square foot facility served students in its 47 classrooms. In 1998, the school received a 20 classroom addition and in 2000 a new activity building. As of 2016, the school’s enrollment was approximately 950 students. While enrollment has ebbed and flowed over the years, Taylor Elementary has the distinction of being a “neighborhood” school as it is physically located in a neighborhood setting. That community feeling is evident in the high levels of parent involvement, an award-winning PTA, the large number of volunteers, and active community partners. Community business partners include Chick-fil-A, Kroger at Russell Ridge, Publix at Old Peachtree, Magic Moments, Bruster’s, 12Stone Church, Cartridge World Recycling, Garden Plaza, UPS Lawrenceville, and Target.