Gwinnett County Public Schools Transportation
School Bus Rules
Posted on all GCPS school buses and printed in all school handbooks.
- Students will follow directions of the bus manager/driver.
- Students must be at their assigned bus stop 5 minutes before the bus arrives, waiting in a safe place, clear of traffic and 12 feet from where the bus stops.
- Students will wait in an orderly line and avoid playing.
- Students will cross the roadway in front of the bus after the bus has stopped, they have looked at the bus manager/driver for a hand signal, and they have looked in both directions for traffic; left, right, left.
- Students will signal the bus manager/driver with a waving motion if something is dropped and wait for the bus manager/driver to give a signal before picking up object.
- Students will go directly to assigned seat when entering the bus. Keep the aisles and exits clear.
- Students will remain properly seated, back against the back of the seat, bottom against the bottom of the seat, and keep hands to themselves.
- Students will not eat, drink, chew gum, or bring tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or any controlled substances on the bus.
- Students will not carry animals, glass objects, nuisance items, hazardous materials, or weapons onto the bus. Students may carry only objects that can be held in their laps.
- Students will refrain from using loud voices, profanity, and/or obscene gestures, and respect the rights and safety of others.
- Students will not extend head, arms, or objects out of the bus windows.
- Students will be totally silent at railroad crossings.
- Students will stay seated until time to get off the bus. The open door is the signal to get up from the bus seat.
- Students are expected to ride the bus to which they have been assigned and to get off at their assigned bus stop. Only in the event of an emergency, as determined by the principal or their representative, will a student be allowed to ride a different bus. Notification of this emergency must be sent to the school in a written note signed by the parent/guardian. The school administrator may provide a bus pass granting permission.
- Students will keep their bus clean and in good, safe condition.
- Students are allowed to “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD), but shall be prohibited from using such device during the operation of the school bus in a manner that interferes with the communication equipment or the bus manager’s/driver’s operation of the school bus. The bus manager/ driver may allow wearing of headphones with an audio system on a case-by-case basis as long as it is in accord with the local school rules.
- Students shall be prohibited from using mirrors, lasers, flash cameras, or any other lights or reflective devices in a manner that might interfere with the school bus manager’s/driver’s operation of the school bus.