The Gwinnett County Board of Education is committed to ensuring the highest possible standards of teaching and learning, as well as the safety, health, and well-being of its students and employees. The Board of Education recognizes that establishing a drugfree environment encourages student and employee productivity and promotes the accomplishment of the school system’s mission and goals. In accordance, the Board of Education declares the following:
1. The use of illicit drugs and the unlawful possession and use of tobacco and alcohol are wrong and harmful.
2. Standards of conduct prohibit the unlawful possession, use, manufacture, distribution, or dispensation of illicit drugs, tobacco, and alcohol by students and employees on school premises, in school vehicles, or as a part of any school sponsored activity (24 hours a day, seven days a week). Compliance with these standards is mandatory.
3. Disciplinary action, up to and including a discipline hearing and referral for prosecution will be imposed on students who violate these standards of conduct. Descriptions of these disciplinary actions are found in the Student Conduct Behavior Code Policy (Policy JCD).
4. As a condition of employment, employees will:
- abide by the terms of this policy;
- understand that disciplinary sanctions up to and including termination of employment and referral for prosecution will be imposed on employees who violate these standards of conduct;
- find specific disciplinary sanctions for violations of this policy in the Gwinnett County Public Schools’ GAM policy; and
- notify the Gwinnett County Public Schools in writing of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace no later than five calendar days after such conviction.
5. Information about drug and alcohol counseling, rehabilitation, and re-entry programs is available to students and employees through school counselors, administrators, and the Staff Benefits/Risk Management Office.
6. A copy of this policy shall be provided to all students, parents, and employees.
THIS NOTICE IS BEING DISTRIBUTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NATIONAL DRUG-FREE SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES ACT.