10 Resolutions for Parents to Brighten Their Children’s Future
Here’s a list of 10 resolutions for the new school year that are guaranteed to help your children enjoy a healthy, safe, and academically positive school year.
- Read. Read. Read. Read to your preschool and primary school children at least 15 minutes a day, every day… and they will become lifelong readers. Encourage older children to set aside time for reading, too.
- Discuss what happened at school with your child each school day. “What was the most interesting thing you learned today?” is a great conversation starter.
- Praise children when they do well; support them when they fail; and give children the respect they deserve.
- Get to know your child’s teacher better. If possible, attend the school events where you can interact with your child’s teacher, including curriculum nights, PTA events, and parent-teacher conferences. If you’re not able to be at events, develop a relationship through e-mail or phone calls.
- Help children to think and to solve problems. Discuss options and examine alternatives with them.
- Give children opportunities to be independent and responsible for their own actions. Hold them accountable.
- Limit television viewing and video game time. Reading, board games, and outside play are all alternatives that are healthier and more productive.
- Let your children know school is important. Talk to them about how you still use what you learned in school.
- Join in the life of your child’s school. The more help parents give teachers, the more time teachers can spend with students.
- Show your children your own love for learning and set their learning sights high. After all, you are your child’s first, and favorite, teacher!