Advanced Placement (AP)Norcross HS offers 19 Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Students enrolled in AP courses should register for AP Classroom through their teacher. This College Board resource offers materials to support students in their learning and allows students to complete the AP Exams registration process. Students not enrolled in AP courses but interested in taking AP Exams may register in EXAM ONLY Sections to test. All NHS students should pay for AP exams through MyPaymentsPlus.Important Information:
AP Exam Registration
Non-NHS Student Exam Registration
MPP Account Setup Instructions
MPP AP Exam Parent Handout
Taking Advanced Placement (AP) courses in high school could give you an advantage by earning college credit before ever setting foot on a college campus.
AP Exam Registration is open for students enrolled in SECOND SEMESTER AP Government/Politics and AP Macroeconomics January 6, 2022 - March 6, 2022.
- AP Exam Registration is now open for students taking second semester AP Government/Politics and AP Macroeconomics. Students may register for these exams January 6, 2022 - March 6, 2022.
- Step 1: Students are required to register in AP Teacher Class Sections through the College Board website. However, indication of plans to test on the College Board/AP Teacher Class Sections website does not complete registration for AP Exams.
- Step 2: Students complete registration for AP Exams through MyPaymentsPlus (MPP).
You may access AP Exam Registration Information by clicking the links above.
AP Courses Offered
- Language and Composition
- Literature and Composition
- 2D Design
- 3D Design
- World History
- US History
- US Government
- Calculus AB
- Calculus BC
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science Principles
What is AP?
Advanced Placement classes are based on college-level courses. They teach higher level thinking skills and allow for the students to experience the atmosphere and the expectations of a college course. AP courses can also provide college credit, increase the chances of success in college, and help save money on college. For additional AP information go to www.college.board.com/APcentral or contact your child's AP teacher.
How can AP help me in college?
According to research conducted by the U.S. Department of Education, the College Board, and Educational Testing Service, there is a strong correlation between participation in AP courses and student achievement, college readiness, and college completion. Researchers at the University of Texas concluded that students who successfully participated in one or more AP exams significantly outperformed their non-AP peers (Hargrove, Godin, and Dodd 2008).
Which is more important: advanced classes or high GPA?
Colleges want to see both. They want to see students excelling in higher level courses. Research shows that if you can be successful in an AP course then you are usually successful in college.
What are the top reasons for taking AP courses?
- AP classes can save thousands of money in college costs.
- AP students may be granted sophomore standing or given credit in college courses.
- AP students improve their chances of being accepted by the college of their choice.
- AP grades are weighted in Gwinnett County by 10 points.
- Because students work at an advanced level and acquire higher reasoning skills, students normally score about 100 points higher on College Board tests than their peers.
- AP students outperform their non-AP peers in college.