Selected Board Policy Information
Search and Seizure (Policy JCAB)
- To maintain order and discipline in the schools and to protect the safety and welfare of students and school personnel, school authorities may search a student, student lockers, or student automobiles under the circumstances outlined below and may seize any illegal, unauthorized, or contraband materials discovered in the search.
- As used in this policy, the term “unauthorized” means any item dangerous to the health or safety of students or school personnel, or disruptive of any lawful function, mission, or process of the school, or any item described as unauthorized in school rules available beforehand to the student.
- A student’s failure to permit searches and seizures as provided in this policy will be considered grounds for disciplinary actions.
- All searches by school employees shall be reasonably related to the objectives of the search and not excessively intrusive in light of the student’s age and gender and the nature of the infraction.
- In the event the search of a student’s person, his/her personal possessions, vehicle, or locker reveals a violation of federal, state or local law, law enforcement authorities may be notified so that they may take appropriate action.
The principal of each school in Gwinnett County Public Schools, or his/her authorized representative, possesses the authority to conduct reasonable interrogations of students in order to investigate properly and impose appropriate administrative action for student misconduct.
Drug-Free Workplace (Policy GAMA)
The Board of Education provides a drug-free workplace and professes that the use of illicit drugs and the unlawful possession and use of tobacco and alcohol are wrong and harmful. Employees are prohibited from using or displaying drug, alcohol, and tobacco products in front of students while the employee is on duty during the normal school day or while on duty at any school- or system-sponsored function.