High School AKS Standards
Gwinnett’s standards for grades K–12 are called the Academic Knowledge and Skills (AKS) and are aligned to the state-adopted Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE) in Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies for students at all grade levels. Gwinnett’s AKS are rigorous standards that prepare students for college and 21st century careers in a globally competitive future.
The AKS standards for each grade level spell out the essential concepts students are expected to know and skills they should acquire in that grade or subject. The AKS offer a solid base on which teachers build rich learning experiences. Teachers use curriculum guides, technology, and instructional resources to teach the AKS and to make sure each and every student is learning to his or her potential.
The Academic Knowledge and Skills (AKS) standards were developed by our teachers, with input from our parents and community, in response to Gwinnett County Public Schools’ mission statement: The mission of Gwinnett County Public Schools is to pursue excellence in academic knowledge, skills, and behavior for each student resulting in measured improvement against local, national, and world-class standards.
Suggestions for Helping Your Student Achieve Academically
The school system encourages parents to be an active part of their student’s education. The following are just a few ways you can be involved:
- Review the AKS for your student’s grade.
- Ask to see your student’s work.
- Ask your student to show his or her work in assignments, making sure to answer the question asked, not just provide information that may or may not be relevant.
- Support your student and communicate that his or her academic success is important to you.
- Read and write with your student often. Remind students to edit the entire sentence and paragraph when they write and to use complete sentences with appropriate grammar and spelling.
- Participate in parent-teacher conferences.
Share these Keys to School Success with Your Student
- Be prepared each day. Have the needed materials and assignments for each class.
- Stay organized. Keep your desk, notebooks, book bag, and home study area neatly arranged.
- Use an agenda book or calendar to keep track of assignments and due dates. Check it every day.
- Give your best effort to both homework and in-class assignments. Complete assignments and turn them in on time.
- Review your work from each class every evening, even if you don’t have a homework assignment due the next day.
- Study for every test and quiz.
- Ask your teacher questions if you do not understand a lesson or an assignment.
- Get involved in at least one extracurricular activity
Please click on a subject area on the left-side navigation to view the AKS Standards for a specific subject.