Transition Planning with the IEP Team
IDEA mandates transition planning take place by the time students are 16 years old.
- In Georgia, transition planning begins when students are 14 years old or will be turning 14 in that IEP period.
- Transition Planning takes into consideration the student’s preferences, strengths, interests and course of study based on present levels of performance and age-appropriate transition assessments.
- IEP teams also solicit parent input regarding transition planning.
- Transition planning is individualized and will focus on the following areas, as appropriate for the student:
- Post-secondary education
- Independent living
Transition IEP goals will be developed in the following areas, as appropriate:
- Development of Employment
- Community Participation
- Adult Living Skills and Post School Options
- Related Services
- Daily Living Skills