WHERE IS THE PLAN AVAILABLE?
The Family and Community Engagement Plan and all other Title I information are available on our school’s website at www.centralgwinnett.net under the Title I Section. Families can also find paper copies of this Family and Community Engagement Plan in our Family Engagement Center.
HOW IS THE PLAN DEVELOPED AND REVISED?
It is reviewed and revised at least annually during the Planning Meeting in the spring. All feedback forms from the Planning Meeting are submitted to the Office of Federal Programs for review. Families who are not able to attend the Planning Meeting have the opportunity to review draft documents and provide input during the draft document review period.
We believe that our families should be able to easily access current information about school events and activities. Our school provides this information through:
- Parent Portal (internal messages)
- eClass Student Portal
- School Messenger Email Notification System
- Knightly Notes (weekly CGHS Family Engagement Center newsletter)
- School Website: www.centralgwinnett.net
- Social Media: CGHS App (download free from Google PlayStore or Apple Store), Twitter, Facebook
You can help us by keeping family phone numbers and email addresses updated.
Parents can request a parent-teacher conference by:
- contacting an individual teacher to meet only with that specific teacher
- contacting the student’s counselor to meet with multiple teachers
Teacher/counselor names and emails are available at www.centralgwinnett.net.
Need assistance? Contact the CGHS Main Office at (770) 963-8041 or the CGHS Family Engagement Center at (770) 822-6540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUR DISTRICT GOALS
Empathy: Cultural competence, staff and student wellbeing, educator diversity.
Equity: Multi-tiered system of supports, opportunity and access, equitable resource allocation.
Effectiveness: Results-Based evaluation system, talent management, educational return on investment.
Excellence: Preferred education destination, post-secondary and workforce readiness, world-class communication and engagement.
OUR SCHOOL GOALS
We will provide all students with high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment to meet high academic standards.
2023-2024 School Goals
Central Gwinnett High School will work to focus on the following strategic priorities:
1. Empathy/Cultural Competence: Recognize and value cultural differences in our students, community, and staff to better interact and serve them.
2. Equity/Opportunity and Access: Increase, expand and diversify academic opportunities for students, including Advanced Placement courses and Gifted/Talented programming.
3. Effectiveness/Talent Management: Support educators and staff to achieve district goals through improved professional development.
4. Excellence/Post-secondary and Workforce Readiness: Promote multiple pathways for post-secondary success based on student strengths and interests.
Central Gwinnett HS will focus on the following related GaDOE English Language Arts Foundational Grade Level Skills (K-12) to meet school goals and to improve English Language Arts skills involved in meeting these goals:
- Participate in gathering information from multiple sources including digital resources
- Acquire and use new vocabulary using all appropriate resources
- Work towards increasingly engaged, prepared and appropriate participation in collaborative discussion – propel conversation and respond thoughtfully
WHAT IS A FAMILY AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PLAN?
It is a plan that describes how our school will provide opportunities to improve family engagement that will support student learning at school and at home. All students and their families are invited and encouraged to fully participate in the opportunities described in this plan. The school will provide information and as many opportunities as possible for the participation of all family members.
WHAT IS A SCHOOL-FAMILY PROMISE?
It is a written agreement that outlines how the school, the students, and the family will work together to ensure your child’s academic success. An effective School-Family Promise contains the following elements:
- Clear learning goals that are linked to the school’s improvement plan
- Specific skills students will learn during the year
- Strategies that staff, families, and students will use to improve student learning
- Ways to extend learning at home
- Methods teachers and family members will use to communicate about student progress
- Opportunities for family members to observe and participate in the classroom
- Jointly-developed by families, school staff, students, community business partners, and other stakeholders during our Planning Meeting
- Reviewed and revised throughout the year [Tell how your school will review the School-Family Promise with families throughout the school year. Include examples such as reviewing the Promise at building parent capacity activities and parent-teacher conferences.]
ENGAGING AND EMPOWERING FAMILIES WITH…
- Title I Program Information: Program information is available during the Title I Planning Meeting in the spring and Annual Parent Meetings in the fall, on the school website, and in the Parent Center.
- Curriculum Information: Knowing what your child is learning at school is important. We will keep you informed throughout the year about what your child is learning during parent meetings, conferences, eCLASS, and on our school website.
- Student Progress Monitoring: The Parent Portal is an online resource that allows families to view grades, attendance, schedules, assessment, and your child’s results, course history, and much more. Monitoring your child’s progress in school is an important way to be engaged.
- Parent Resources: We have many resources available for checkout to use at home with your child. We also host several parent workshops to empower you as you work with your child at home.
- Staff Training: We will train our staff to effectively communicate with you. Your input on how we train our staff is valuable.
- Communication: We will communicate, to the extent feasible, all information with you in a language and format you understand. Whenever possible, we will provide interpreters during parent workshops, and academic events. Translation is available for most documents.
- Transition Support: Entering a new school can be scary for both students and families. We will host events to make sure both you and your child are aware of what is expected and how you can prepare as your child transitions to a new school level, college, and career.
WORKING TOGETHER TO ENSURE SUCCESS
Central Gwinnett High School will…
- offer workshops/activities that provide strategies to improve English Language Arts skills and to meet other school goals.
- recommend online, school, and community resources that focus on strategies to improve English Language Arts skills and to meet other school goals.
- offer parents opportunities for additional trainings to help them use given strategies at home.
Principal's Signature: Shane Orr
As Students, we will…
- prioritize learning English Language Arts strategies provided by our teachers.
- use recommended online, school and community resources to improve our English Language Arts skills across the curriculum and to meet other school goals.
- use learned strategies when completing assignments at school and at home.
As Families, we will…
- participate in family workshops/activities to learn strategies to improve my child’s English Language Arts skills and to meet other school goals.
- recommend strategies learned at family workshops/activities to our children.
- communicate with the school for any additional assistance needed to use given strategies at home with our child.
We believe that meaningful, two-way communication between school and families promotes student academic success. Let’s talk together by means of:
- Parent Portal (direct teacher email feature)
- Phone Calls
- Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Central Gwinnett High School Family Engagement Center
You can help by keeping family phone numbers and email addresses updated.
If you need interpretation and/or translation services, please contact: Cassandra ‘Cassie’ Milligan in the Central Gwinnett HS Family Engagement Center at 770-822-6540 or email@example.com
ACTIVITIES TO BUILD OUR PARTNERSHIP
We believe that working together leads to student academic achievement. Opportunities for families to support learning include:
- Monitoring student progress through Parent Portal
- Parent group meetings/workshops
- Local School Council Meetings
- Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Annual Parent Perception Survey
- Title I Planning Meeting & Draft Document Review
DID YOU KNOW?
- Title I is a federal program designed to support school reform efforts to improve teaching and learning for all students.
- Title I programs are based on effective means of improving student achievement and include strategies to support family engagement.
- The Title I Office reserves at least one percent of the district’s allocation to fund family and community engagement programs. The use of these funds is based on suggestions gathered at our spring Planning Meetings from families and community members. Funds are distributed equally to all our Title I schools.
- Childcare and/or transportation may be provided for meetings and school events.
Our Mission Statement
Central Gwinnett High School strives to be a model learning
environment where all students reach their highest academic and civic potential.
Together, Central Gwinnett High School and the Lawrenceville community are
united in inspiring all students to develop the academic knowledge, skills, and character
required to become engaged, productive, and responsible global citizens.
VISIT OUR FAMILY ENGAGEMENT CENTER
Our Family Engagement Center has learning activities, books, and many other resources available for families to checkout and use at home. Our Parent Instructional Coordinator is Cassandra ‘Cassie’ Milligan. She is available to help you find resources, navigate the Parent Portal, connect with teachers, and learn about ways you can help your children at home.
Our Family Engagement Center is located across from the Main Office, next to the Student Support Center. Enter the school at the bus lane entrance.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 7:15 AM – 2:45 PM
Please contact Cassandra 'Cassie' Milligan for additional information
about our Family Engagement Center and resources available for check-out.
We invite our families to volunteer, observe and participate in the following activities to build partnerships that will support student learning.
- Title I Planning Team
- Family Workshops/Meetings/Activities
- Local School Council
Parents interested in scheduling an observation of their child’s classroom can contact the CGHS Family Engagement Center for additional information.