Gwin Oaks Elementary School
Principal: Dr. Richard C. Barlow
400 Gwin Oaks drive, Lawrenceville, GA 30044
The following school highlights showcase how Gwin Oaks Elementary School is fulfilling Gwinnett County Public School's four strategic priorities of Empathy, Equity, Effectiveness, and Excellence. Visit the School Profile Dashboard to find more detailed data on our school.
- Gwin Oaks Elementary was recognized as a "Taking Action Green & Healthy School" in the Environmental Achievement Awards sponsored by Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful. The award recognizes expanded involvement of environmental programs, practices, and education efforts in seven specific earth-friendly areas &ndahs; waste reduction, education and stewardship, water conservation and watershed protection, air quality, energy conservation, beautification and green space preservation, and community outreach – as well as demonstration of curriculum integration and alignment to AKS standards. In addition, Gwin Oaks students-initiated project ideas that impact our environment and community.
- Students in grades 3-5 participated in 3 different book clubs this year. There were 20 third grade students, 21 fourth grade students, and 23 fifth grade students that participated among the clubs.
- Our Broadcast Club included 36 fifth grade students this year and our Sewing Club had 15 students participate.
- We were pleased that 85% or our students participated in our reading program with 198 students attending the end of the year celebration for their efforts.
- We had two robotics teams this year at Gwin Oaks that participated in the First Lego League competition. The Super-Watt Bots won an award for Robot Design and the Energy Llamas won an award for Core Values.
- Gwin Oaks PTA fundraiser supported funding for additional playground equipment to be used by all students.
- Our school counseling program has been recognized as a R.A.M.P. school. The Recognized ASCA Model Program (RAMP) recognizes schools committed to delivering school counseling programs aligned with the ASCA National Model framework. The RAMP designation demonstrates to administrators, school boards, families, and the community at large that the schools are committed to supporting the mission of the school and district. To date, approximately 1,300 schools have earned the RAMP designation in the United States.
- One of our school counselors, Dr. Pugh, was named the District Elementary School Counselor of the Year.
- Gwin Oaks fathers and family members participated in our All Pro Dad program throughout the school year.
- Gwin Oaks Elementary School was recognized by the Georgia Department of Education with Operational status for its implementation of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) in the last school year. PBIS encourages positive behaviors with recognition for students who exhibit appropriate school conduct.