Lilburn Elementary School
Principal: Mike Bender
531 Lilburn School Road, Lilburn, GA 30047
The following school highlights showcase how Lilburn Elementary School is fulfilling Gwinnett County Public School's four strategic priorities of Empathy, Equity, Effectiveness, and Excellence. Visit the School Profile Dashboard to find more detailed data on our school.
- Our school celebrated the opening of our inclusive playground in September with a ribbon-cutting ceremony. The playground was made possible thanks to our partnership with the Resurgens Charitable Foundation, and it was designed to allow students with all abilities to have access play.
- Lilburn Elementary School has been a pilot school for Joyful Learning this school year, and we could not be more proud of its positive effects and impact on our students and their learning. Joyful Learning allows students to begin the school day with collaborative play opportunities and calming yet stimulating, joyful experiences that set the tone for the day and help our students feel more comfortable and ready to learn as soon as they walk through their classroom doors.
- Lilburn Elementary has worked closely with the district's Early Learning and School Readiness department to continue supporting students' early childhood development by piloting a Guided Play Space. The space provides a hands-on learning environment where students practice AKS through purposeful play guided by teachers. Teachers have intentional learning goals in mind for their students when they enter the Guided Play Space and use student choice and playful experiences to extend traditional classroom learning.
- With help from the Carson Scholars Fund, Lilburn Elementary honors Pop Verdi, the school's first principal, by operating Pop's Place Reading Room. Teachers and students have shared many reading adventures in this inspiring and calming atmosphere along with the room’s reading pups, Lady Grace and Hope.
- Throughout the school year, Lilburn Elementary School strives to recognize and honor our diverse learners' cultures and heritages. However, every year, LES plans a special celebration for one of the grandest nights of the school year: International Night. After being canceled the previous two years, we brought back this night, and families shared their rich histories, cuisines, music, and traditional attires and dances!
- Lilburn Elementary has opened its doors to a Wellness Room specifically designed to provide a dedicated space for teachers and staff to prioritize their mental health, leading to improved well-being and productivity. By creating a culture of self-care and wellness for educators, we are promoting a positive school environment. Additionally, by practicing healthy habits and prioritizing their own needs, teachers can effectively support students' social-emotional development and enhance their overall learning experiences.
- Lilburn Elementary School is setting the standard for schools by integrating cutting-edge and innovative technologies. This school year, LES adopted interactive floors, mobile SMART boards for every classroom, an interactive digital playground, microphone balls that you can toss, and various robots that students direct by programming code. All of these gadgets offer students new ways to learn via interactive play. Using these tools in student learning fosters the four C's: creativity, collaboration, communication, and critical thinking. At LES, we aim to prepare our 21st-century learners to succeed in various future careers and prospects.
- This year we began Breakfast Buddies, a program that provides a structured and supportive environment for students with autism to practice their social skills with adults. This program led to improved socialization, a deeper sense of belonging, and overall success in school.
- At Lilburn Elementary, students are immersed in opportunities to grow in their strengths. Students have the ability to join various clubs that include Garden Club, Art Club, Chorus, ORFF Ensemble, Girls on the Run, Kilometer Kids, Readers Rally, Safety Patrol, Mustang Math Club, and Robotics.
- Lilburn Elementary School was recognized by the Georgia Department of Education with Operational status for its implementation of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) in the last school year. PBIS encourages positive behaviors with recognition for students who exhibit appropriate school conduct.