Dr. M.H. Mason Jr. Elementary School
Principal: David W. Jones
3030 Bunten Road, Duluth GA, 30096
The following school highlights showcase how Dr. M.H. Mason Jr. Elementary School is fulfilling Gwinnett County Public School's four strategic priorities of Empathy, Equity, Effectiveness, and Excellence. Visit the School Profile Dashboard to find more detailed data on our school.
- Mason Elementary School welcomed its inaugural cohort of approximately 20 Play 2 Learn students and their parents. All of whom celebrated a wonderful year of early learning activities during the group's final session of the year.
- All students began their year participating in Georgia's Great Pollinator Census as a kick off to a wonderful year of STEM instruction.
- The instructional staff successfully completed a full school pilot of new Language Arts Curriculum materials providing feedback to district leaders along the way resulting in the future adoption of new materials based in The Science of Reading.
- Mason Elementary Students participated in a school wide Science Fair resulting in a number of students advancing to the regional fair and one student winning the overall award for his project in the area of the use of echolocation to assist the visually impaired.
- Mason Elementary received a record number of responses, 253 more than the previous year, on the district's Family Engagement survey leading to excellent feedback from a much more diverse group of respondents enabling staff to further analyze the needs of the Mason community.
- The Mason Elementary School Counseling Program earned the RAMP (Recognized ASCA Model Program) Award for the fourth consecutive cycle illustrating continuous excellence and adherence to the expectations of The American School Counselor's Association in removing barriers to learning for students at Mason Elementary.
- The National Wildlife Federation Certified its newest Schoolyard Habitat at M.H. Mason Elementary School at the completion of the final quarterly Project Based Learning Experience for Mason Third Graders.
- The Mason Parent Teacher Association raised just over $60,000 dollars during the annual Lion Stomp fundraiser to support Mason students and staff throughout the year as well as in the purchase and installation of shade structures on the school's playground.
- Mason's Positive Behavior Interventions and Support Team continued its daily and monthly work to create a culture of positive behavior through the recognition of students for behavior that illustrated "Respect, Responsibility, and Readiness."
- Finally, in April, Mason students and staff celebrated the Georgia Department of Education's "Re-certification" of Mason Elementary as a Georgia STEM School, one of only three elementary schools in the district and one of approximately thirty in the state of Georgia.
- Mason Elementary is a Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) school. PBIS encourages positive behaviors with recognition for students who exhibit appropriate school conduct.