School attendance is important because class activities and direct instruction cannot be duplicated by assigning make-up work. Please make every attempt to have your student in school every day and be on time.
When your student is abesnt...
Please remember that if your student is absent from school, you need to send a note* signed by the parent or a doctor's note to the school stating the reason for his/her absence. If more convenient, you may email the student's teacher.
*This note must be received within 5 school days of the student's return.
What is an excused absence?
Certain absences are considered to be excused according to State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-.10. Excused absences include:
- Personal illness or attendance in school endangering a student’s health or the health of others.
- A serious illness or death in a student’s immediate family requiring absence from school.
- A court order or an order by a governmental agency, including pre-induction physical examination for service in the armed forces, mandating absence from school.
- Observing religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
- Conditions making attendance impossible or hazardous to student health or safety.
- Serving as a page in the General Assembly.
Partial Day Attendance
To be counted present for the whole day, students must attend for at least the equivalent of half the school day. This does not have to be continuous time.
Make Up Work
If a student is absent one day, the teacher will give the make-up work when he/she returns. If the student is absent more than one day, parents may request make-up work. Please allow 24 hours for the teacher to gather needed materials. Please do not drop by during instructional time to discuss make-up work with the teacher.
Please do not ask teachers to provide make-up work in advance for unexcused absences such as vacations, family outings, and planned trips. The teacher will work with the student and family upon return.
Unexcused absences are absences which do not fall into to one of categories defined as an excused absense.
When a student has five/seven/ten unexcused absences, the school will notify the parent, guardian, or other person having charge or control of the student. The notice shall outline the penalty and consequences of such absences. Parents are requested to participate in the Student Support Team (SST)/ Student Attendance Review Committee (SARC) meeting in person or via conference call to support student attendance. The SARC meeting may include support from a Social Worker, Counselor, and/or Assistant Principal.