School Council Information
The establishment of school councils is intended to help local boards of education by bringing parents and the community together with teachers and school administrators to create a better understanding of and mutual respect for each other's concerns and share ideas for school improvement.
The A+ Education Reform Act of 2000 established school councils in Georgia to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to:
- solve difficult education problems
- improve academic achievement
- provide support for teachers and administrators
- bring parents into the school-based decision-making process
School Councils provide advice, recommendations, and assistance to principals and local boards of education. The law details the composition of the council, its responsibilities, and procedures for conducting business.
The 2004 General Assembly in HB 1190 provided flexibility in membership, chairmanship, meetings, elections and trainings for school councils. The changes also provided clarity that school councils are to focus on student achievement and school improvement.
The 2007 General Assembly changed the composition of school councils, requiring that a majority of members be parents (or guardians) and that at least two parents be businesspersons. At a minimum, a School Council is composed of seven members:
- The Principal
- Two certificated teachers elected by the teachers
- Four parents (or guardians) elected by the parents (please list as “Parent”); two of the parents must be a businessperson
Meeting Dates & Locations
All parents are welcome to attend School Council meetings.
These dates are also posted on the Head School Calendar.
- Thursday, September 21, 2023 - 6:00 PM (Head Elementary)
- Thursday, November 2, 2023 - 6:00 PM (Head Elementary)
- Tuesday, January 11, 2024 - 6:00 PM (Head Elementary)
- Thursday, March 21, 2024 - 6:00 PM (Head Elementary)
Minutes from school council meetings are approved at the next council meeting and will be available on the website at that time.
School Council Members
Representatives serving on the Head Elementary School Council:
- Principal: Dr. Tonya Burnley
- Teacher: Julia Dyer
- Teacher: Sue Ford
- Parent: Shaun Boles
- Parent: Nimi Idaikkadar
- Parent: Tina Jones
- Parent: Dr. Oyebade Overinde
- Parent: Joanne Walters
- Parent: Steven Woodall