Arrivals and Departures
Students arriving before 8:55 must have a teacher pass to enter the building. Those students without a pass will be directed to the gym until the school bell rings at 9:00 am.
Parents who transport their children to and from school should make a right turn at the top of the driveway to enter into the carpool lane at the rear of the school building. Students may begin unloading at 8:50 with the doors opening at 8:55. Students should exit the school bus or car and proceed immediately to homeroom. Breakfast stations will be located conveniently throughout the building so students may grab breakfast before school begins. The departures at 4:00 PM will follow the same procedure. Please see the school website for a map showing the expected flow of traffic for bus and car rider traffic.
Car Rider Information
The car rider lane for pick up and drop off is located at the back of the building near the gym. When you come up the driveway, please make a right and follow the road around to the back of the building.
With the increase in car riders this year, we really need the help of those of you who use our car rider lane in the morning and/or the afternoon.
Please help us keep our students and staff safe by adhering to the following:
- Morning & Afternoon Drop Off: On Mondays, Tuesdays, & Fridays, students should not arrive prior to 8:15 unless they have prior permission and a pass from a specific teacher or they are a student in Mr. O'Connor's Biology class. Supervised (silent) Study Hall is available from 8:15-9:00 am, and students arriving during that time will need to report directly to the gym from the car rider lane. For the safety and security of everyone at Five Forks, we are unable to accommodate students before 8:15am. In the afternoon, car riders should be picked up no later than 4:15pm. If you are late, we will bring the students to the front office and you will need to come into the building and show identification and sign them out.
- Help Sessions: On Wednesdays and Thursdays, students can be dropped off starting at 8:00 a.m. Students will be supervised by staff members in the gym until 8:15 a.m. and then will be released to their teachers’ classrooms for Help Sessions.
- Drop Off in the Back of School: Students must be dropped off at the blacktop in the back of the school. Do not unload anywhere else (ex. the band/orchestra room entrance) as it backs up traffic and causes safety issues. Students should only unload at the sidewalk and should not walk among the cars at the back of the school to the blacktop. The only entry to the school is through the blacktop doors.
- Loading & Unloading: When you pull up to the drop off/pick up area, please load and unload quickly so that we can keep cars moving. Additionally, move up all the way up to the end of the sidewalk beside the gym. (Follow directions of staff and signage.)
- Please make sure that your child’s last name, first name is displayed on your dashboard. For those students who are normally car riders, these signs will be given to you by the school.
- Car Rider Lane: The lane around the school is one way only. Please do not back up and/or drive the wrong way. In the afternoons, please know that we keep you in the order that you arrive so do not cross lanes when picking up your child in the afternoon. There is absolutely no passing in the car rider lane unless you are directed to do so by one of our staff members who will ensure that it is safe to do so.
- Students Should Pay Attention: In the afternoon, please ask your students to watch for your car. Our staff members will ask you to move up and we will send your child to you. Students are not permitted to use electronic devices during this time since they are a distraction during the dismissal process.
- Load on Driver’s Side: Whenever possible, please have your student get in on the driver's side. If they are going to the passenger side, please make sure that they walk in front of your car.
- Whenever possible, have your child ride the bus. We have a number of students who do not take advantage of Help Sessions and just come in for Study Hall to talk and hang out with their friends. This is not ideal as we have very limited space in the gym and supervision is difficult—and the study hall is SILENT. Students may receive consequences for talking during this time. Additionally, please make sure that if your child does arrive early on Help Session days that they make plans to get extra help from their teachers.
Our staff members are working very hard to keep the lanes moving quickly and safely. Please follow their directions and support them.
We thank you for all that you do to support the safety of our students.
Christine Douthart, Principal