Summer Health & Physical Education
If you are interested in enrolling in our local summer health and physical education course, please complete this registration form.
- The courses will take place at Duluth High June 3-25, 2021.
- The deadline to register is May 22, 2021.
Contact the Duluth High Community School if you have questions.
9th Grade Parent Night: October 13th Presentation
The purpose of the 9th Grade School is to support the overall mission of Duluth High School, “Challenging All to Succeed.” The 9th Grade Academy will provide a positive learning environment that helps ninth grade students transition successfully into high school by meeting their academic, social, and emotional needs.
Note: The 9th Grade Academy is located on the 3rd and 4th floors of the 600 building. The 9th Grade Academy will house all four of the core content areas for freshmen (Math, Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies).
8th Grade Parent Video Regarding Registration
Top 15 Tips for Rising Freshmen
*Advice about high school from DHS 9th graders to current 8th graders.*
- Organization skills are KEY. Find a means that suits you and keep up with it!
- Determine the route to all your classes early (Hint: Walk through your schedule—in order—on Freshman Orientation Day in August). You don’t want to make a habit of being late to your classes.
- Pay attention in class and keep up with studying. Don’t expect to be spoon fed by your teachers; you must take the initiative to learn.
- Challenge yourself with harder classes (AP and/or honors) but try not to overwhelm yourself. Don’t be afraid to see a counselor regarding your schedule.
- GET INVOLVED! Community service, club involvement, and sports involvement are very beneficial in the long run. Along with academics, colleges look at all how “well-rounded” you are.
- Keep old friends but make new ones. Study buddies are extremely beneficial.
- Learn to balance your priorities—don’t procrastinate.
- Do not sweat the small stuff. Drama is not welcome in high school.
- Upperclassmen are people, too….They do have hearts! Don’t be afraid of them; they’re there to help you. Get to know your Freshman Mentor.
- SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP! High school means an early start to your day, and you don’t want to fall asleep in class.
- Make it a priority to try to open and know your locker combination by the first day of school.
- Finish summer assignments on time.
- Get off to a good start with your grades. Every class that you take in high school (including your 9th grade year) DOES count in your GPA, so there are no freebies! And, yes, colleges look at your GPA.
- Take advantage of the FREE tutoring that your teachers and different clubs offer to all students.
- Lastly… Relax! High school is a great experience, so enjoy it!