About Dacula Middle School
Dacula Middle School is in the Gwinnett County Public School System. Our school has gone through many changes over the years with the continual construction of new classrooms on our campus. Our most recent change occurred during the 2004-2005 school year when our newest addition was built. We now serve approximately 1700 students in grades 6-8 on one campus with our student body growing more and more each day. Our school mascot is the falcon and our school colors are navy and gold.
History of DMSCommunity
The first settlement in the area was called Chinquapin Grove. In 1891, tracks were being laid for the Seaboard Railroad, approximately six miles east of Lawrenceville, and the contractors selected it as their temporary camp. In its earliest days, the area was known as Hoke, and a post office was established in this name to honor a railroad official, but the railroad refused to have the town continue under that name. The townspeople called the town Freeman Town, after a prominent family in the area. The postmaster suggested the name "Dacula" as a combination of "Decatur" and "Atlanta" and the name became Dacula.Mr. J. W. Hamilton, born in Gwinnett County on November 7, 1847, was Dacula's first settler. He built his small wooden house in 1891 and Dacula grew around it.In 1905 Dacula was incorporated, with Dr. S.L. Hinton as its first mayor. He was also the owner of the first drug store. Other Dacula mayors were: A.M. Wilson, L.C. Mauldin, Beverly Ambrose, G.F. Pharr, K.E.Taylor, Claude Hinton, Otho Pharr, J. W. Hamilton, and Taylor Whitley.The city boomed in the years between 1910 and 1935, largely due to the cotton trade. There was a large cotton gin here where many people came to buy, sell, and process their cotton. In 1935 a city hall was erected at a cost of $2,500.00.SchoolsIn 1892 there was a small two-story wooden building built on the current site of the Dacula Middle School campus. In 1910 a school was built that was the pride of school officials in the area for years. This building burned in 1944. After the fire, classes were held in the vocational building, canning plant, lunchroom, garage, and local stores.The next school building was opened in 1947. This building still exists at the center of our campus. This campus housed grades kindergarten through 12th grade until 1974 at which time the current high school was built. After construction of the high school, the campus served students in kindergarten through 8th grades with one administration until 1979.In 1988 the current media center was built. Dacula Elementary School moved to its current location in 1989. At this time, students were rezoned to Dacula Middle from the Collins Hill and North Gwinnett clusters, raising the school population to 520. In 1995 the two-story buildings, in the front and back of the school, and an additional gym were completed.