Counseling Department DLD Resources
Please be advised that while school counselors do not provide therapy at schools as counselors, we are also not providing tele mental health counseling/ tele counseling*. We can communicate with students on platforms such as email and Google Meet for academic, college/career, and social/emotional development as outlined by American School Counseling Association standards. There are confidentiality limitations to speaking with students through email or Google Meet, such as unintended viewers or recipients.
What is considered confidential? All information except:
- Drug use, including alcohol
- Sexual or physical abuse
- That you may harm yourself or someone else
* Georgia requires that Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Licensed Professional Counselors, who provide telemental health services, attend at least a 6 hour CE training on telemental health counseling.
GCPS does not endorse or recommend any of the agencies/resources listed on this website, as this list is for informational use only. Any fees incurred are the responsibility of the parent and/or student. This is not a complete list of resources or assistance available in Gwinnett or the Metro Atlanta Area. Please check with your insurance provider for referrals as well as with other sources of information for additional resources.
- Counselors will continue to check the Counselor Appointment Request form available on e-Class. Please remember you must be logged into your GCPS Google account in order to fill-out the form. Counselors will respond to you via GCPS Google email. Please check your GCPS Google email accounts. If appropriate, counselors will send you directions on starting a Google Meet.
- Also, even if you do not make an appointment, please continue to check your GCPS Google email. This will be the main line of communication between counselors and students.
- Counselors are available during normal school operating hours via email. If appropriate, Counselors will send you directions on starting a Google Meet.
- Please allow 24-48 hours for a response.
- Counseling Department Contact Information is available here
Coping Strategies & Self-Care
With the disruptions in daily life, many students are grieving the loss of experiences: graduation, attending prom, their spring musical, or final baseball game. They may struggle with feelings of helplessness or loss of control, sadness, anger, or confusion. Check in with your kids and validate their thoughts and feelings.
Emotional Mapping Activity:
Local Emergency Services: 911
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Georgia COVID-19 Emotional Support Line: 866-399-8938; https://dbhdd.georgia.gov/covid-19
- 24/7 free & confidential assistance to callers needing emotional support or resources.
- Staffed by volunteers, including mental health professionals and others who have received crisis counseling training
Georgia Crisis & Access Line (GCAL): 1-800-715-4225; www.mygcal.com
- Callers have access to a clinician who will triage the crisis over the phone.
- If unable to de-escalate over the phone; a DD and Mental Health team goes to location of crisis.
- Staff able to 10-13 (involuntary transport) or go with the family to the hospital with their assessment information.
Glitter of Hope: offering a free, no questions asked grocery delivery program.
- Website: https://www.glitterofhope.org/need-groceries-now.html
- Families can also call 678-978-4000 for support.
All records requests, withdrawls, and enrollments are suspended until after Spring Break. Please check back for updates.
Dual Enrollment Updates
Archer HS DE Updates - as of 3/19/2020
Questions? Mrs. Kilpatrick: firstname.lastname@example.org
*info subject to change; more info to come*
CURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS:
- Most if not all DE colleges have transitioned to fully online for the rest of Spring 2020. Please be sure to check your DE college portal and DE college email daily for updates.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit assignments for online courses in the event there are delays with online platforms, personal illness, etc.
- Contact your DE college’s DE office/advisor for more information/questions.
STUDENTS WANTING TO DO DE SY 20-21:
- If student did not attend 1of 20 Archer DE group advisement meetings or never has done DE, please wait to pursue Spring 2021 DE until Fall 2020.
- If you have submitted completed DE forms from the DE packet to AHS Counseling & attended a DE group advisement meeting, know that you have met the Archer HS March 20th deadline for summer/fall DE.
- Contact the college’s DE office for questions about meeting test requirements if SAT/ACT not offered until after May 2020 or other questions related to the DE college.
- You will need to reapply to the DE college via your GA Futures account.
- Mrs. K UNABLE to view/process your DE app in GA Futures until late April 2020 or later.
- Send Mrs. Kilpatrick a copy of your summer DE college schedule.
SAT/ACT & College Updates
SAT/ACT: All SAT/ACT test dates through June have been cancelled. Students will either be issued refunds or allowed to reschedule for free.
- Many colleges have extended their application deadlines. Please monitor college websites for additional information.
- Most Georgia schools are no longer requiring SAT/ACT scores for admission for the 20-21 school year. You should check with each college to determine if you need to submit scores.
Contact: Ms. Nicole Hamilton - email@example.com
Please see the following document for instruction on requesting and sending transcripts.