Attendance is an important part of student success at school! Encourage your students to attend every class, every day! Please review Berkmar High School’s attendance information and procedures below.
Attendance Office Information
Attendance Assistant Principal
Dr. Gypsy Hernandez
- Students reporting to school after 7:15 AM must report to the Attendance Desk to Check In to be excused from being late to school.
- Failure to report to the Attendance Desk for proper check in will be considered an unexcused tardy or absence.
- A parent/ guardian must sign the student in. If the parent cannot sign the student in, the student must have a doctor’s note, legal documentation, or a letter from the parent.
- Parents can send 10 notes to excuse their students from being late to school in a school year.
- Students who need to leave campus during the day must check out through the Attendance Desk.
- A student who does not Check Out at the Attendance Desk will be considered Absent without Approval (AWOL) and will be issued consequences.
- A parent/guardian must sign the student out. Contact with a parent or guardian is required before a student is released from school. This includes all students including those 18 years old or older.
- A student who is feeling ill must report to the clinic and the checkout will be arranged by the clinic worker who will contact the parent.
- State law requires school attendance for students age 7 to 16 years old
- Gwinnett County Board of Education Policy states that students will be excused from school under the following circumstances:
- Personal illness: individuals whose attendance in school will endanger their health or the health of others. Medical documentation may be required upon the return to school for the purpose of validating a serious or extended illness.
- Serious illness or death in immediate family, formal documentation of a funeral brochure, program, or obituary is required to be excused.
- Doctor/Dentist/ other healthcare professional appointment, a doctor, dental, or other healthcare provider documentation is required to be excused.
- Recognize a county approved religious holiday.
- Student under orders of government agency, a court or government mandated paper is required to be excused.
- Voter Registration (18 years or older) or voting
- Service as a page in the Georgia General Assembly
- Conditions rendering school attendance impossible or hazardous to student’s health or safety
- A student misses school day to spend time with active duty combat-zone parent(s) who are about to leave for overseas deployment or who are between military deployments.
- For an absence to be excused, the student must bring a signed note from a parent or guardian or formal documentation stating the reason for the absence within 2 days of returning to school to the Attendance Desk. Please make sure to include the student’s name, student number, and the date(s) of absence, reason for the absence, parent or guardian’s name and a phone number.
- Parent notes will be accepted for up to ten (10) days to excuse absences. After that, documentation is required to excuse absences.
- Formal medical documentation may be required for the purpose of validating a serious illness or extended illness.
- Should your child need to miss 3 or more days of school, please contact the Attendance Office at 770-806-3704.
Certificate of Enrollment
Certificates of Enrollment must be ordered through to My Payment Plus ($5) and they can be picked up the next business day at the Attendance Desk, from Monday to Friday from 7:10 AM to 2:30 PM.
Alcohol and Drugs Awareness Form (ADAP/ Joshua’s Law)
Pick at the reception from Monday to Friday from 7:10 AM to 2:30 PM.