Car Rider Information
Patrick Elementary has many car riders. The most efficient way to transport children to school is the bus. Please consider this option to help prevent unnecessary traffic concerns during arrival and dismissal. If you choose to transport your child, please be aware of the following guidelines and be reminded that parents are expected to follow the directions of all PES staff during both arrival and pickup.
- The morning car rider lane closes at 8:10 AM. Students may not be dropped off in the car rider lane after this time. A parent must accompany his/her child to the front office to sign in and get a tardy pass.
- Students cannot be released to vehicles without a school-issued car rider tag. If a parent or guardian does not have a car rider tag, they will be asked to leave the car rider line, park, and go to the front office to check out the student to ensure the child is being picked up only by authorized individuals for safety.
- If a note has been written to request that a student be a car rider and no tag number is on the vehicle picking up the student, a staff member will ask to see the driver's ID to make sure the driver is the person listed on the note.
- The afternoon car rider lane closes at 3:10 PM. If a parent or guardian is late picking up his/her child, they will need to proceed to the front office to present either the car rider tag or a valid ID.
Car Rider Rules and Expectations
By accepting a car rider tag, you agree to the following rules and procedures:
- Students may enter the school through the lower level each morning, beginning at 7:45 AM.
- The car rider lane closes at 8:10 AM and school begins at 8:15 AM.
- Students may not be dropped off before 7:45 AM.
- Staff members will be present until 8:10 AM outside to help students enter the school each morning.
- Car drivers should remain in their vehicles. If you require assistance, please roll down your window and ask a staff member for help. Please do not honk your horn to get a staff member’s attention.
- Children must exit from the passenger side of the vehicle only. Students should not exit from the left side of any vehicle to avoid dangerous crossings between cars.
- Drivers may not wait in the upper parking lot or attempt to enter the bus lane to skip the car rider lane.
- Car engines should be turned off if you arrive before 7:45 AM.
- Cell phone use is prohibited during drop-off.
- After 8:10 AM, parents are required to walk their child into the front office for drop off to ensure their safety. By that time, our staff have begun their instructional responsibilities and are no longer present to provide supervision. Please help us keep your child safe. Please do not park in the fire lanes.
- Car rider dismissal is from 2:45 PM to 3:10 PM. Please turn off your engine if you arrive before 2:45 PM.
- If you arrive at 3:10 PM, you will be asked to pick up your child from the front office and sign him/her out. You will need to show a valid driver’s license when signing out your child.
- Cell phone use is prohibited during pick up.
- You will need a car tag number to pick up your child in the afternoon. If you know your child will be a car rider for various after school activities during the school year, please secure a car rider tag. Car rider tags are available in the front office.
- If you do not have a car rider tag, please park in the upper lot, and come to the front office to show your valid ID to pick up your child.
- Hang your car rider number from the rear-view mirror, where it is easily visible to PES staff. Do not remove your car rider tag until your child is in the vehicle.
- As you approach the school, the traffic merges into two lanes. Please be courteous and understand that school buses have the right of way. Car riders will go to the right and buses will go to the left.
- A PES staff member will direct the flow of traffic in the car rider lane. To accommodate cars, drivers will be directed to form two lines as they enter the car rider area. Please be courteous as you merge in the car rider line.
- Advance forward slowly as you approach the pick-up area where students are entering cars and pull all the way up in the car rider lane. The first car in the line should stop at the letter “A” sign.
- Please stay in line with other cars. Do not try to go around the other cars.
- Staff members on duty will signal you to load your vehicle in the afternoon. Children must load from the passenger side of the vehicle only. Students should not load from the left side of the vehicle to avoid dangerous crossings between cars.
- Car drivers should remain in their vehicles. If you require assistance, please roll down your window and a staff member for help. Please do not honk your horn to get a staff member’s attention.
- No child waiting in the car rider lane will be released to anyone who walks up to the line and asks for his/her child(ren).
If you have any questions about car rider rules or procedures, please contact the front office at (678) 765-5260. Thank you.