K.E. Taylor Elementary School
600 Taylor School Drive
Lawrenceville, GA 30043
Phone Number 770-338-4680
Last Revised: July 26, 2023
WHERE IS THE PLAN AVAILABLE?
The Family and Community Engagement Plan and all other Title I information are available on our school’s website at https://www.gcpsk12.org/TaylorES under the Title I Section. Families can also find paper copies of this Family and Community Engagement Plan in our Family Engagement Center.
HOW IS THE PLAN DEVELOPED AND REVISED?
It is reviewed and revised at least annually during the Planning Meeting in the spring. All feedback forms from the Planning Meeting are submitted to the Office of Federal Programs for review. Families who are not able to attend the Planning Meeting have the opportunity to review draft documents and provide input during the draft document review period.
Written communication is available to all parents in both English and Spanish with additional languages available upon request.
In addition, interpreters are available in multiple languages for parent-teacher conferences, Family Engagement Center meetings, and individual parent meetings. Taylor’s policy for scheduling meetings at a parent’s request is to respond within 24 hours. Parents should contact the school for assistance at (770) 338-4680.
OUR DISTRICT GOALS
Empathy: Cultural competence, staff and student wellbeing, educator diversity.
Equity: Multi-tiered system of supports, opportunity and access, equitable resource allocation.
Effectiveness: Results-Based evaluation system, talent management, educational return on investment.
Excellence: Preferred education destination, post-secondary and workforce readiness, world-class communication and engagement.
OUR SCHOOL GOALS
We will provide all students with a high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment to meet high academic standards.
Taylor Elementary students in grades K-5 will demonstrate growth in the areas of literacy and mathematics as measured by an increase in the percentage of students scoring in the proficient and distinguished categories on local and state assessments.
Skills to support school goals:
- Literacy- phonemic awareness and reading fluency with a concentration in grade level comprehension
- Math- math fluency with a concentration in grade level computation and problem solving
WHAT IS A FAMILY AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PLAN?
It is a plan that describes how our school will provide opportunities to improve family engagement that will support student learning at school and at home. All students and their families are invited and encouraged to fully participate in the opportunities described in this plan. The school will provide information and as many opportunities as possible for the participation of all family members.
WHAT IS A SCHOOL-FAMILY PROMISE?
It is a written agreement that outlines how the school, the students, and the family will work together to ensure your child’s academic success. An effective School-Family Promise contains the following elements:
- Clear learning goals that are linked to the school’s improvement plan
- Specific skills students will learn during the year
- Strategies that staff, families, and students will use to improve student learning
- Ways to extend learning at home
- Methods teachers and family members will use to communicate about student progress
- Opportunities for family members to observe and participate in the classroom
- Jointly-developed by families, school staff, students, community business partners, and other stakeholders during our Planning Meeting
- Reviewed and revised throughout the year via School Messenger, website, Parent-Teacher conferences, newsletters, PTA meetings, postcards, and Building Parent Capacity activities.
ENGAGING AND EMPOWERING FAMILIES WITH…
- Title I Program Information: Program information is available during the Title I Planning Meeting in the spring and Annual Parent Meetings in the fall, on the school website, and in the Parent Center.
- Curriculum Information: Knowing what your child is learning at school is important. We will keep you informed throughout the year about what your child is learning during parent meetings, conferences, eCLASS, and on our school website.
- Student Progress Monitoring: The Parent Portal is an online resource that allows families to view grades, attendance, schedules, assessment, and your child’s results, course history, and much more. Monitoring your child’s progress in school is an important way to be engaged.
- Parent Resources: We have many resources available for checkout to use at home with your child. We also host several parent workshops to empower you as you work with your child at home.
- Staff Training: We will train our staff to effectively communicate with you. Your input on how we train our staff is valuable.
- Communication: We will communicate, to the extent feasible, all information with you in a language and format you understand. Whenever possible, we will provide interpreters during parent workshops, and academic events. Translation is available for most documents.
- Transition Support: Entering a new school can be scary for both students and families. We will host events to make sure both you and your child are aware of what is expected and how you can prepare as your child transitions to a new school level, college, and career.
WORKING TOGETHER TO ENSURE SUCCESS
Taylor ES will…
- Provide strategies that families and students can use to improve student achievement in reading and math.
- Provide resources and website links for families and students to practice activities.
- Create ongoing opportunities for two-way communication with families and students to strengthen achievement
Tawanda Sanks July 26, 2023
Principal’s Signature Date
As Students, we will…
- Read every night to ourselves or with a buddy to practice reading on-level text with accuracy.
- learn math facts to support problem-solving. Use resources from my teacher and websites to help.
- Bring home homework bags (grade level appropriate book, reading log, and math) and Friday folders.
As Families, we will…
- Attend workshops to assist my child with reading and math.
- Use tip sheets, websites, and resources provided to assist my child at home.
- Read weekly newsletter to stay engaged.
- Communicate any questions or concerns as needed.
Methods of regular two-way teacher-family communications:
- Email, text, website, and phone calls
- Zoom meetings
- Paper correspondence, Friday Folders
If you need interpretation and/or translation services, please contact: Christy Neal, 770-338-4680
ACTIVITIES TO BUILD OUR PARTNERSHIP
- Curriculum Night
- Annual Title I Parent Meeting
- Building Parent Capacity workshops
- School-wide Service Projects
- International Night
- STEM/Computer Science Night
- Literacy Night
- Fine Arts Night
- PTA events
- Grandparents Day
- eClass Parent Night
- Parent-Teacher Conferences : October 18 & 19 and March 6 & 7
- Title I Planning Meeting
DID YOU KNOW?
- Title I is a federal program designed to support school reform efforts to improve teaching and learning for all students.
- Title I programs are based on effective means of improving student achievement and include strategies to support family engagement.
- The Title I Office reserves at least one percent of the district’s allocation to fund family and community engagement programs. The use of these funds is based on suggestions gathered at our spring Planning Meetings from families and community members. Funds are distributed equally to all our Title I schools.
- Childcare and/or transportation may be provided for meetings and school events.
Excellence in Everything
Accountability for Learning
Growth through Goal-Setting
The Vision of Taylor Elementary is to:
Educate and Train All Students and Staff to Reach Their Full Potential
VISIT OUR FAMILY ENGAGEMENT CENTER
Our Family Engagement Center has learning games, books, and many other resources available for families to check out and use at home. Our Parent Outreach Liaison or Parent Instructional Coordinator is Christy Neal. She is available to help you find resources, navigate the Parent Portal, connect with teachers, and learn about ways you can help your children at home.
Our Family Engagement Center is located in room 1.216.
Hours of Operation
8:30 AM-2:00 PM (Monday-Friday)
Please contact Christy Neal for additional information about our Family Engagement Center and resources available for check-out.
Phone Number: 770-338-4680
Please contact your child’s teacher for volunteer opportunities and the classroom observation policy.