News and Upcoming Events
Congratulations to our newest PTSA Student Representatives!
Each candidate recounted interests and talents important to represent the student body through PTSA. They will join current PTSA Student Representatives William Tomsik and Quinn Watch. Please congratulate these students when you see them.
- Aiden V.
- Ella M.
- Bella A.
- Sahana P.
Save the Date: Paul Duke STEM Trivia Night
We had so much fun at our first Trivia Night, we are doing it again at Paul Duke STEM on Friday, October 18th from 6:30-8:30 p.m.! Last year, nine teams brushed up on their trivia and joined us to compete. Students, families, staff, and community members are invited! Prizes will be awarded. Tickets are $5 to participate. Food and drinks will be sold during the night. Sign up here! Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsor, Fast Mentoring on Peachtree Industrial and Gold Level Sponsors, Mathnasium Berkeley Lake and Buffalo Wild Wings on Peachtree Parkway. Please frequent their establishments and thank them!
Volunteers needed for Trivia Night! Email Cornelia Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit trivia questions, help check-in players, and bring or serve food.
Calling all real estate agents and small business owners! Trivia Night is looking for sponsors for our “buy an answer” fundraiser. Trivia Night Participants will be able to buy a “free” answer during the competition. Sponsorships are $50 and will be able to put a business card and a small piece of literature about your business in a small gift bag for the contestant. Businesses will be listed as a sponsor of the event.
Welcome to Paul Duke STEM’s PTSA! We are thrilled you have joined us on our journey to make every student’s potential a reality. Whether it is your first year or second, we hope you find PTSA’s programming and events a way for you to become engaged in your student’s life and a vital part of our school family.
As we start the third week of our school year, it is my pleasure to invite you to join us for some exciting school and PTSA events. You will quickly find out that this is unlike any PTSA you have joined. We are here to support your student and our school for what promises to be an exciting year.
If your student is a PTSA member, he/she is eligible to enter the PTA Reflections contest and apply for upcoming scholarships, attend themed student lunches, and receive a December exam stress buster.
Be in the know about your school and PTSA by signing up for our newsletter. Please follow the link here and learn about additional offerings for the 2019-20 school year.
Thank you for your generosity and your passion for our school. I feel incredibly fortunate to be working with you!
With warm regards,
Paul Duke STEM PTSA President
Fall Events and Opportunities to Support
- August 22nd: Curriculum Night at 6:30 p.m. AND Peachtree Corners Business Association’s Charity Party at Curiosity Lab from 5:30-8 p.m. The charity party and auction support our "Digital Bridges" program which helps us close the digital divide. Check out the awesome items available in the silent auction and bid now. Please plan on attending both!
- August 29th: Club & Activity Night at 6:30 p.m. Come with your student and learn about all the extracurricular offerings at Paul Duke STEM! PTSA’s first General Meeting will be held and I, as well as other PTSA representatives, will be on hand to answer your questions. Be sure to also speak with our engaging PTSA Student Representatives. There will be concessions with savory Chick-fil-A sandwiches, chips, fresh popped popcorn, drinks, and homemade baked goods for sale.
- Paul Duke STEM Teacher Wishes: THANK YOU for helping teachers and supporting staff by purchasing consumable supplies and other items that help create meaningful and engaging learning experiences. To purchase a wish item, click here and navigate through the departmental tabs at the top. Sign up and pay for the items you want. PTSA will email you and the teacher a confirmation that the item has been purchased. We will also email you a gift card that can be printed and hand delivered with a note by your child. Emails will include information that can be used to claim purchases as a charitable donation.
- September 14th: Send your student with pencils and a calculator to take an ACT practice test at Paul Duke STEM. Planned and coordinated by PTSA, this exam is offered to all Paul Duke STEM students and proctored and graded by Applerouth Tutoring. See the newsletter for registration information.
- October 18th: First PTSA luncheon for our awesome staff! Be on the lookout for a Sign Up Genius.
- October 18th: PTSA’s second Trivia Night from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Form your teams and brush up on your trivia! Prizes awarded to our winners. Food and drink will be available.
- October 22nd: We invite you to join us for our PTSA Member Coffee/Webinar with Dr. Wetherington. Come hear about the state of the school and ask our principal general questions about Paul Duke STEM.
- November 2nd: School Dance with treats and drinks from PTSA.
- December 6th: PTSA Holiday Treats to recharge our staff prior to exams.
- Week of December 16th: All PTSA student members will receive an Exam Stressbuster to make exam taking a bit easier.
The Nominating Committee submits the following nominees:
- For President: Ms. Andrea Antonowich
- For Vice President: Ms. Tisha Tomsik
- For Vice President Ms. Tina Budnitz
- For Secretary: Ms. Helen West
- For Treasurer: Ms. Archana Mehta
Signed and Dated:
Ms. Silvana Ebong
Ms. Kim Sidey
Ms. Paula Brooks
Our third and final General Meeting will be held in conjunction with our Band and Orchestra Spring Concert on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m.
Future Problem Solving Team
The Norcross High/Paul Duke STEM High Future Problem Solving Team took first place this weekend in the Global Issues Team Problem Solving and second place in their Action Plan. They (Katheryn Antonowich, Lauren Antonowich, Mallory Lane, Abby Lewis) have been invited to the International Conference at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst in June. Rijul Mehta placed second in the Global Issues Individual Problem Solving.
Congratulations to the following Paul Duke STEM HS students who placed at the state level of competition:
Rijul Mehta - 9th Grade - 2nd Place in Music Composition - “A Story From Gujarat”
Nathan Haynes - 11th Grade - 2nd Place in Music Composition - “A Journey From Africa”
The theme for Reflections 2019-20 is:
Competition categories include:
For more information please visit:
Applications will be available at the PDSHS front office in late August.
Deadline for submissions will be early October 2019.
Good luck to our future Reflections participants!
Next Two Meetings
We have two upcoming meetings on the books:
- February 12th at 5PM in the PDS Commons (also our Science Fair Night)
- April 25th in the PDS Theatre, time TBD (also our band and orchestra concerts)
We can't wait to see you there!
Holiday Treats for Staff
Paul Duke STEM High School PTSA will have our first Holiday Treats for Staff event on Friday, December 14th. Thank you to all who have volunteered to bring in treats and supplies for this joyous event. If you have haven't volunteered yet, please sign up by clicking here.
Surprise Your Student with an exam Week Stress Buster!
Long nights of studying and memorizing are NOT easy! Send some relief with a special delivery to your student’s classroom and help keep them focused. Exam Week Stress Busters are refillable water bottles with the Paul Duke STEM logo filled with either Hershey’s chocolate kisses OR wrapped salty trail mix (your choice). And when the treats have been emptied, your student has a special water bottle to keep them hydrated throughout the year!
Festival of Lights
Come support and celebrate our Fine Arts! Mark your calendars for Thursday, December 6 at 7 p.m. PTSA is providing a bake sale table and your donations are greatly appreciated. Please sign up by clicking here.
Spirit gear including PDS beanies and holiday items will be for sale.
Free SAT/ACT Diagnostic Test
Register for a free SAT/ACT diagnostic test here at Paul Duke STEM! The test is on January 26th and will last from 8:00am-12:30pm. Space is limited, so sign up early.
Please support crowdfunding efforts for our Science & Marketing Departments!
Please consider donating and sharing the links below to raise funds for educational games for Ecology units or the DECA Competition for the marketing students.
Ring in the holidays early this year by supporting our teachers and granting their wish to bring academic supplies, games, and resources to our students. View the Wish List and purchase items by clicking here.
PTSA Launches Paul Duke Dads
Get ready for PTSA's Paul Duke Dads! Our first event was Doughnuts with Dad on Thursday, November 15 from 6:30 a.m. - 7 a.m. at Paul Duke STEM. Students, brought their dads, uncles, grandfathers, or any important male influence in their lives to share doughnuts, orange juice, and conversation. We discussed our mission and future events in which you can participate.
Congratulations to our new Student PTSA Representatives!
- 9th Grade: Emma Baker and William Tomsik
- 10th Grade: Brian Dillard and Matan Rabman
- 11th Grade: Quinn Watch
We thank them for agreeing to serve on PTSA and represent their respective classes.
Parent Seminar: "The New Landscape of College Admissions Testing"
Join us November 29th from 6-7PM at Paul Duke STEM for a seminar on the changes with the SAT and ACT.
Charter Meeting of Paul Duke STEM PTSA
On June 4th, the Paul Duke STEM Parent Teacher Student Association officially began. At this meeting, officers were elected, bylaws were adopted, and over 120 members signed up. This was the largest charter PTSA in Gwinnett County history, which is truly remarkable! The PTSA is looking forward to an outstanding inaugural year. If you're interested in joining, please click here for more information.