School Closing or Cancellation
STUDENTS ARE NOT IN SCHOOL
GCPS schools and facilities may close in the event of hazardous weather or other emergencies which present threats to the safety of students, staff, or school property.
The superintendent makes the decision about school closing based on a cross-divisional and cross-agency effort, with information from public safety officials, the Georgia Emergency Management Agency, Gwinnett County officials, and the state Department of Transportation. In addition, when inclement weather is an issue, members of the GCPS Facilities and Operations team head out as early as 3:30 or 4 AM to drive roads around the county and assess road conditions. The school system’s transportation staff ensures
that buses are operable. (Extreme cold can cause operational problems for diesel buses.) Facilities are checked in the early hours, and GCPS works with power providers, as needed. Local school principals gather information for the leadership team about specific school conditions.
Decision made to close schools before 6:00 am.
School closing announced on:
- AT&T – Listed under Local Government
- Charter – Channel 22
- Comcast – Channel 24 or 26
Note: GCPS Website and TV post in 5 different languages: English, Spanish, Bosnian, Vietnamese, and Korean
12 Month Employees Report if Safe
STUDENTS ARE IN SCHOOL
Should severe weather move into the area during the day, plans to cancel classes will be announced on
metro-Atlanta radio and TV stations and on the school system’s website before school is dismissed.
Important items to note in instances of early dismissal due to hazardous weather:
- An announcement will always be made before any schools are dismissed early.
- We will work to notify all parents of updates through numerous channels of communication (phone, email,
website, etc) to keep you informed.
- No child will be released to a parent if inclement weather poses an imminent danger.
- Please do not call the school directly so that we can keep lines open to send out information to all parents via
- Do not count on being able to contact the school to make last-minute arrangements.
- Make a family plan for early dismissal due to bad weather or an emergency and discuss with all parties involved,
- Keep your child’s school information card up-to-date with your phone numbers and at least one other person who
will be responsible for your child if you cannot be reached.