Students are considered tardy to school or class if the student arrives after 8:50 a.m.
- 8:20 am First Bell Rings-Building is open for students.
- 8:50 am Second Bell Rings-Students need to be in classroom preparing for instruction.
Students entering school after this bell must be signed in by a parent in the front office and receive a tardy slip to be granted entrance to the classroom.
Instruction is continuous from 8:50 a.m. until 3:20 p.m. Teachers will report attendance electronically at 8:50 a.m.
Check-outs before 12:06 p.m. and check-ins after 12:05 p.m. will count as a school absence for that day.
Per state guidelines, all absences will be considered "unexcused" except for the following reasons:
- Personal illness or attendance in school endangers a student’s health or the health of others.
- A serious illness or death in the student’s immediate family.
- Observing religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
- Absences mandated by court order or by governmental agencies.
- Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to student health or safety.
- Students serving as pages for Georgia General Assembly.
- Students whose parent or guardian is in military service and who is being sent overseas for active duty or returning from active duty (5 days per school year).
At any time school is closed due to inclement weather, an announcement will be made on all local news stations by 6:00 a.m. This info will also be posted on the GCPS main website.
Documenting AbsencesParents or guardians must submit an excuse explaining the reason and date for the absence. Excuses may be submitted as a doctor’s excuse or written note to teacher. Excuses must be received within 5 days of your child’s return.
A letter will be mailed to the parent, guardian, or person having charge or control of the student to notify them if a student has 5, 7, or 10 unexcused absences, and stating the possible consequences. After 10 unexcused absences you may be asked to present a physician’s note to excuse future absences or attend a meeting at the school.
Work missed because of an excused absence must be made up within the length of time the student was absent. For unexcused absences, teachers are not expected to give make-up work assignments. Make up work will not be assigned until the student returns from the absence.