Challenge of the Month
Reading is a Treat! Our new challenge starts October 1 and goes through October 31.
Log 400 minutes of reading or more during the month of October to be entered in our prize drawing!
Starting September 1, we will offer curbside checkouts between 9:30-2:30 Tuesday-Thursday. Here's how:
- Put books on hold through the BES Media Catalog.
- Wait for an email from our Media Center letting you know your books are ready.
- Come to the front of BES between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Call the number on the sign to let us know you are at the school.
- Mrs. C or Mrs. Nichols will bring your books to your car. You can also return books at that time!
Readers Rally Challenge
One final year long challenge is our Readers Rally challenge.
This challenge is for our fourth and fifth grade students.
Students may choose books to read from a list in our Biblionasium challenge.
Again, students who complete this challenge and a reflection will win a tshirt!
You can work on our #ReadWoke challenge throughout the school year. What is #ReadWoke? It's a global reading challenge that was started by Gwinnett Media Specialist, Cicely Lewis. Cicely says,
"What is Read Woke? It’s a feeling. A form of education. A call to action, and our right as lifelong learners. It means arming yourself with knowledge to better protect your rights. Learning about others so you treat people with respect and dignity, no matter their religion, race, creed, or color.
I concluded that a Woke Book must:
• Challenge a social norm • Give voice to the voiceless • Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised • Seek to challenge the status quo • Have a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group"
We have curated a list of books for our young readers (grades K-2) and our older readers (grades 3-5) to choose and read in Biblionasium. Students who complete the challenge and a reflection will win an official #ReadWoke tshirt!
Click here to learn more about the National Librarian of the Year, Cicely Lewis, and the Read Woke challenge she started!