A Message From Our Principal
2019 -2020 School Year
Dear Students and Families:
Welcome to the start of the 2019 – 2020 school year! As always, our commitment at Northbrook Middle School is to provide a safe, positive, intellectual learning environment that is both “High-Performing and Nurturing.”
This year marks our sixth school year, and I would like to continue to set high expectations for our students in regard to academic performance within the classroom, participation in co-curricular activities, and responsible citizenship at school and in the community. The immense amount of pride that our students exhibit for our school and cluster is astonishing, and I am asking each student to make a commitment to reach deeply within to maximize and reach his/her complete potential. Students exhibit that “NORTHBROOK LION PRIDE” by being active participants in their education and acting responsibly as individuals within our learning community. Having Lion Pride will enable all to have yet another successful and enjoyable school year. Be mindful that middle school is a time of a change. It is an exciting time, but it can also be challenging with the increase in workloads and the social adjustment.
Students, I encourage you to do the following so you can be successful during your experience at Northbrook:
- Communicate with others in a respectful and meaningful way
- Pose questions, examine possibilities, and challenge yourself to find solutions
- Surround yourself with positive people
- Make positive choices related to physical and mental wellness
- Contribute to our school community in a collaborative, respectful manner
- Seek assistance from adults when making difficult decisions
- Practice good digital citizenship in regards to social media
Parents, please make time to:
- Ask your student(s) specific questions about their time at school. For example, “What was the most interesting thing you did in math class today?” or “What did you learn from your science experiment?”
- Use the Parent Portal early and often. The portal provides relevant information regarding your child’s academic performance and attendance records.
- Parents who show interest and concern in school progress motivate their children to do their best at school.
- Communicate with your child’s teachers and staff members to establish a successful home/school connection. All of our teachers have classroom websites with their contact information, homework assignments, and useful resources.
- Be in the know regarding the use of electronic devices and social media.
We look forward to yet another positive and upbeat school year at Northbrook. Students, I encourage you to stay connected with our school by continuing along the studious and respectful path that the students before have paved. We have a very beautiful facility that has been extremely well kept. Parents, please remind your child to help us to keep it that way. Also, please help us by reinforcing school expectations at home. With your help, Northbrook will continue to be a school community in which every person feels respected and valued and is encouraged and challenged to achieve at the highest levels.
I encourage you all to be active in the PTSA. Our partnership is essential for continued success. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and know that my door is always open.
I am excited for the opportunity to work with you and your student(s) to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports student success. Once again, welcome to Northbrook Middle School! I am honored to serve as your principal.
Dr. Keith D. Thompson