Avery Anderson Graves
Graves Elementary is named in honor of Avery Anderson Graves, a veteran educator, who lived on Graves Road himself. His distinguished career as an educator spanned Gwinnett, DeKalb, and Gordon counties. He began his teaching and coaching career in the 1920s at Glover School, taught at Grayson School in the 1930s, was superintendent of Calhoun City Schools from 1951 to 1959, and was responsible for restoring the accreditation status for Lilburn School as its principal in the 1960s. Mr. Graves also was involved in various civic activities in Gwinnett County.