Local School Council
School Council Meetings Dates for 2019-2020
Friday, September 13, 2019 9:00 am at Suwanee ES
Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:00 am at North Gwinnett MS
Friday, Friday 21, 2020 9:00 am at Suwanee ES
Friday, April 24, 2020 9:00 am at Suwanee ES
School Councils provide advice, recommendations, and assistance to principals and local boards of education. The law details the composition of the council, its responsibilities, and procedures for conducting business. The A+ Education Reform Act of 2000 established School Councils in Georgia to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation.
The 2004 General Assembly in HB 1190 provided flexibility in membership, chairmanship, meetings, elections and trainings for School Councils. The changes also provided clarity that School Councils are to focus on student achievement and school improvement.
The 2007 General Assembly changed the composition of School Councils, requiring that a majority of members be parents (or guardians) and that at least two parents be businesspersons. At a minimum, a School Council is composed of seven members, including the following:
- The Principal;
- Two certificated teachers elected by the teachers;
- Four parents (or guardians) elected by the parents (please list as “Parent”); two of the parents must be businesspersons; and
- The School Council may, within its bylaws, increase the number of members, as long as the parents remain the majority.
2019-2020 Suwanee Elementary Local School Council Members
Representatives serving in this capacity for the 2018-2019 school year are:
- Mary B. Taylor, Principal
- Laura Thomas Teacher
- Jenn Jones, Teacher
- Judge Shawn Bratton, Parent Representative
- Desarae Moore Parent Representative
- Missy Weeks, Business Person/Parent
- Holly Sharp Fong, Business Person/Parent
- Dena Hunt, PTA Co-President
- Jenna Troncalli, PTA Co-President